Interesting Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I can't open it, but I think it is the same thing that straightleg posted. A drill called this is used at many college camps and coach Larabee at Ark, has a device that was made for him to teach this that straightleg posted on this site. I would ask him to repost it, but he doesn't post anymore.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
CycloneSoftball22 ...

What we see here is a hitter leading with the upper torso ... or some may view it as the encouragement of a gate-like swing. Take note of the lack of dynamic hip/shoulder spatial separation that this drill is encouraging ... in other words, the swing lacks the action critical in terms of powering the swing in a segmented manner, which also favors built-in adjustability.

5bzdw1.gif

Jan 24, 2011
FFS - I see what you are saying. But , I will say, I know this particular hitter , and she absolutely hits the crap out of the ball. I guess , she has found a swing that works for her. There are actually a series of videos like this one that her Dad (and coach) have posted for their team. I would also like to hear your view on some of the others.

Oct 25, 2009
She may very well have a somewhat different swing in games. The swing in the video could be a result of trying to emphasize the main focus of the drill. She does look pretty good overall. Leading with the hips would make it better I believe.

Oct 25, 2009
I just looked at some of their other drills on youtube. She does lead with the hips. They would probably benefit from some of the discussions on here concerning coil and weight shift.

Everyone could and should learn more than they know now.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
When her front elbow hits his hand, (bam one) her arm is already at the contact position, even though the bat is way behind. Could be a result of her trying to stop the bat, which really messes up bam two.

Wouldn't it be better to have just one bam, with the elbow, hands, and bat head all getting lined up at the same time? Shouldn't the elbow release through contact, not before? He says girls have a problem unlocking the elbow early, but it looks like he is promoting it in this drill.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
This is slightly different than what I have watched by college hitting coaches. Elbow is bam one, than the hands are bam 2, then the wrist release -bat release. I agree with FPMark, stopping the bat would really mess this up. Plus I know this is a drill, but watch her rear hand action. See how she changes her grip. Jim, more reason to train with a bat jack. This was my main reason I like that device. You cannot change the grip during the swing.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Great thread, very interesting thanks for posting. I love it and I hate it. I love the idea for this drill, I just hate the way they demo it. FFS I don't think it's a problem with the drill and maybe you didn't imply that it was. It's the execution. Worse than the torso really, she is firing her elbow forward with her tricep.

Yes the hip turn should do virtually all of the work to getting the front elbow to a point (a point maybe not exactly where this dad puts his right hand)

FPMark I think by firing them all together that would by this coach's definition be unlocking too early. This is interesting stuff because I am definitely in the camp of what I think this video is trying to do. But this is where I get confused by Tewk's video of barrel to the ball because I can't figure out if he believes in firing everything together.

I may try using this one

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I would actually like to see this drill performed correctly because leading with the elbow, without unlocking it early, is definately something to be worked on. However I'm not sure how this drill can be performed without altering the swing. Take a look at Benyi's swing in the model swings thread (page 1, not sure how to link it), and somebody tell me how that swing would fit this drill.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish