Intentional walks--overrated.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Another thread discussed IWs (intentional walks). I did some digging, and found that the IWs in the MLB has been steadily declining. Currently, there are about 1 IW every 3 games in MLB.

The next batter after an IW is rarely a slouch. You're usually going from .400 hitter to a .300 hitter, so there isn't a huge difference in ability.

My DD hated IWs. The most trouble she got into with her college coach (well, other than the bar fight, but that's another story) is over IW a batter.

Jun 11, 2013
Another thread discussed IWs (intentional walks). I did some digging, and found that the IWs in the MLB has been steadily declining. Currently, there are about 1 IW every 3 games in MLB.

The next batter after an IW is rarely a slouch. You're usually going from .400 hitter to a .300 hitter, so there isn't a huge difference in ability.

My DD hated IWs. The most trouble she got into with her college coach (well, other than the bar fight, but that's another story) is over IW a batter.
In the majors it's usually strategy to set up a DP or a matchup.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Mlb stuff, chime in
intentional walks steadily declining MLB
And
Strikeouts have steadily increased over the years in the MLB because pitching has gotten that much stronger.

No need to walk the next batter because just go select the pitcher you want from your Bullpen and throw them.

There are some other hitting strategy discussions that may attribute to strikeouts as well.

Nov 9, 2021
I am all for an intentional walk in high school. Don’t care for it as much in travel ball as I consider that just developmental.

I never want to let another teams best player beat us in high school ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2019
MN

In my world of smaller school ball, it's common to face a lineup with a big drop-off from their big bat to the rest of the order, so I wish we'd use IWs more often.

I'll be awaiting the thread "coaching proper hip rotation in a bar fight" to hear your other story. Sounds more interesting than an IW. :)

Jun 18, 2023
in MLB in bases empty situations, a walk roughly doubles the run expectancy that inning. So if you don't think the next batter is half as likely to get on, it's probably not a great play. If you go by the run expectancy matrix from 6-4-3 charts from D1 Softball 2019 the math is even less in favor of IBB.

The calculus gets a little closer for for more batters on, and I wager in some lower level situations the drop off in batter can be decently extreme. If you know one player is head and shoulders better than anyone else, yeah.

Look at the Mets last night, didn't give Judge anything to hit (first 4AB), essentially intentionally walking him. He's got a wRC+ of like 200, meaning he's literally twice as good as the average player, and more than that over J.D. Davis this season or Alex Verdugo, or Ben Rice. Mets won 3-2. (Of course Judge also struck out looking bot-9 against the Mets like 15th best reliever so anything can happen in any given AB, but I digress)

Dec 15, 2018
CT
in MLB in bases empty situations, a walk roughly doubles the run expectancy that inning. So if you don't think the next batter is half as likely to get on, it's probably not a great play. If you go by the run expectancy matrix from 6-4-3 charts from D1 Softball 2019 the math is even less in favor of IBB.

The calculus gets a little closer for for more batters on, and I wager in some lower level situations the drop off in batter can be decently extreme. If you know one player is head and shoulders better than anyone else, yeah.

Look at the Mets last night, didn't give Judge anything to hit (first 4AB), essentially intentionally walking him. He's got a wRC+ of like 200, meaning he's literally twice as good as the average player, and more than that over J.D. Davis this season or Alex Verdugo, or Ben Rice. Mets won 3-2. (Of course Judge also struck out looking bot-9 against the Mets like 15th best reliever so anything can happen in any given AB, but I digress)
I watched the NYY/NYM game last night. The walk to Judge in the 7th was intentional (Grisham was on, then went to 2nd on wild pitch to Soto, who struck out, then they intentionally walked AJ)

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I remember when Buck Showalter intentionally walked Barry Bonds with loaded bases and a two-run lead. He walked in the run to make it a one-run game, and he got the next batter out, so it paid off for him. Of course, that was Barry Bonds...

Sep 3, 2013
Illinois
Walks across the board should be down in MLB since the NL adopted the DH. The unintentional intentional walk to the #8 hitter with 2 outs disappeared. :cool:

The thing that always annoyed me about IW in softball was the rule where the pitcher didn't have to throw 4 balls. The coach could just signal to put the batter on 1st. How was it fair that the pitcher was allowed to save 4 pitches on their pitch count, eliminate the risk of a passed ball, or possible leave one over the plate? I get it was implemented to speed up travel games under a time limit, but DD did have 3 or 4 career HRs hit while being IW'd. Many pitching coaches only focus on throwing strikes, it was/is difficult for younger pitchers to throw a ball when asked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831