I need a "bracket" pitcher? What exactly does that mean?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
If you are a pitcher that likes to work fast then adding a wrist puzzle (that is also harder as a pickup) between every pitch is not helpful.

Not sure the teams you are watching are using wristbands correctly. We have learned that our pitchers work too fast for most umpires and batters so we introduce simulated signals from the catcher along with wristbands to make everything run smooth.

Nothing is faster (and more accurate) than using a wristband to call pitches. It is best practice.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not sure the teams you are watching are using wristbands correctly. We have learned that our pitchers work too fast for most umpires and batters so we introduce simulated signals from the catcher along with wristbands to make everything run smooth.

Nothing is faster (and more accurate) than using a wristband to call pitches. It is best practice.

DD got warned a few time for quick pitching the umpire. Like you we needed her slow her down a take a breath. I do not recall her quick pitching a batter.

Oct 4, 2018
Coaches are bringing statistics, spray charts, and defensive shifts to the party. There isn't some magical pitch-calling combination that is better than random chance. The dice are already loaded based on what the pitcher's best pitch is.

The catcher is bringing their view of the pitcher's pitches (are the pitches doing what they are supposed to do) and the umpire's comments/views/preferences. You had better damn sure be getting the catcher's input between innings.

The pitcher is the one throwing the pitch and has the ERA stat attached to their name. They get the final say but need to be able to carry/defend their decision. They get the final say by shaking off the pitch call. More than two head shakes and we are calling time and talking about it.

You need all three. Anyone that picks just one isn't doing it right.

My DD is 14U pitcher. Pretty decent.

I sense she's just now kind of able to remember what the batter did last at bat and thus factor that into pitching to her second time through the lineup. And when I say "kind of able", I really mean like one batter, once per game. We really do count on the coaches to help with that in their pitch calling.

Point being, I do see that changing over the lifespan of a good pitcher.

Oct 4, 2018
Funny story, stop me if you've heard me tell it before. I'll tell it often in my life.

High school. DD is a freshman pitching Varsity. Doing well, but at times getting hit hard by senior D1 commits. Part of the game, part of her growth, no worries there.

However, the pitch calling is bad. Like real bad. Like if you tried to call bad on purpose, you couldn't do this badly. Example, screwball called and girl hits it over the left field fence, but a foot foul. Next pitch called? Screwball. Result: Home run to left field. My DD knew it was the wrong pitch, but is a bit too shy/obedient/young to shake off the pitch. We've talked about that.

So one game midway through the season, the pitch calling coach decides to change wristbands. So the girls all put in their new wristbands, and the game starts. My DD pitches three no-hit innings and then the pitch calling coach figures out (and tells everyone) that while the wristbands had the new calls on them, the sheet the coach uses to call pitches was the old one. So basically the coach was calling a pitch (like 0-4-3) and the coach thought it was a curve, but the girls thought it was a rise (or whatever). In essence, totally random pitch calling.

The coach goes to the "correct" call sheet, and of course the other teams knocks my DD out of the game.

* Yes, perhaps they figured out my DD. Perhaps my DD got tired. But honestly, the pitch calling was so bad, so predictable... Y'all know my opinion on it. :p

Oct 14, 2019
I think you overestimate the impact a baseball or softball coach has on the outcome of a game.

As if the coach was a conductor and if they called the right pitches, pulled the pitcher at the right time, and said the right words to the pitcher (to settle them down!) it has some meaningful impact on the outcome.

Players win or lose games. Baseball/softball coaching is in the margins.

This is why you still see terrible (game) coaches in Baseball and Softball, even at the highest levels.
I don’t think the coach pitch caller would do any better than a random pitch generator or the pitcher calling her own pitches. It would still come down to pitcher execution.

Apr 14, 2022
My DD is 14U pitcher. Pretty decent.

I sense she's just now kind of able to remember what the batter did last at bat and thus factor that into pitching to her second time through the lineup. And when I say "kind of able", I really mean like one batter, once per game. We really do count on the coaches to help with that in their pitch calling.

Point being, I do see that changing over the lifespan of a good pitcher.
DD is in 8th grade she certainly would be on the same page. Might remember a player that hit a shot and what pitch. Definitely not remembering a weak grounder on an outside pitch, and knowing if they just can’t hit that pitch, or if she needs to do something different.
100% certain no memory of the player who hit shot off a different pitcher 2 weeks ago in pool play, not to mention which pitch was thrown.

May 17, 2012
I don’t think the coach pitch caller would do any better than a random pitch generator or the pitcher calling her own pitches. It would still come down to pitcher execution.

I agree but there is some nuance. Perhaps the coach prefers certain pitches in certain situations (throw a strike on 2-1, don't throw a strike on 0-2, whatever...).

The reality is that 90% of softball pitchers can't throw multiple pitches to multiple locations at varying speeds (consistently). If you have a pitcher with a legit #1 pitch then that's what we are going with the majority of the time. Sure you can mix speeds and locations but we don't need a rocket scientist to call those pitches.

Is the pitcher executing? Ask your catcher. After warmups and between innings.

Apr 14, 2022
I agree but there is some nuance. Perhaps the coach prefers certain pitches in certain situations (throw a strike on 2-1, don't throw a strike on 0-2, whatever...).

The reality is that 90% of softball pitchers can't throw multiple pitches to multiple locations at varying speeds (consistently). If you have a pitcher with a legit #1 pitch then that's what we are going with the majority of the time. Sure you can mix speeds and locations but we don't need a rocket scientist to call those pitches.

Is the pitcher executing? Ask your catcher. After warmups and between innings.
What do you mean? According to Parents, 90% of 12u throw 55+ with 5 pitches with movement, speed variation, locating them all. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi