How's your HS season going?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This is what we are playing in at the HS tourney. Rained like cats and dogs today, but the host did the best they could since there are teams who traveled over 900 miles to enter. Yes, those are puddles of water. DD had to get from the bullpen to the circle by boat. :)

fc6cd3bf31d852be1f09b22f3686785f_zps0ee2395b.jpg
[/IMG]

Dec 19, 2012
My dd's teammates HS fees to play are $650 per player. No multi-kid discount.

Pay to participate will be the eventual death of many HS sports. We have 1500 kids in our HS and only had 16 or 17 try out for softball. Rumor has it the pay to participate fee will jump to $700 next year.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
We pay $100 per sport, $50 fee on top of that, multi family discount, but, if you get free/reduced lunches you don't pay. Why do they have such nice cars?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
There is no fee to play sports at DD's school, they do 1 fundraiser per sport each year which generally pays for travel. Boosters buy uniforms and make up for shortages.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Well the tourney went rather good, we didn't win but we improved from last year and that should be everyone's goal. The weather conditions were not the best, rain on and off the whole time. BUT, the host really worked their tails off to keep the fields playable and without too much delay.*

Furthest team was from Pennysilvania, they said about 900 miles one way. ( I love high school ball, not sure if I'd travel 1800 miles to play ) Had a team west of Chicago, a few more from southern IL, a few from AL, South Carolina, Ohio, and West Virginia. And of course the great state of Tennessee. :)

I'd recommend this tourney to anyone. No doubt some of the best HS teams east of the Mississippi river. Well organized and well run.

Very good improvements vs last year, I'm proud of the girls!!
Last year:
Placed 18th
Record 4-3
Win % 57.1
Runs scored 40
Runs allowed 30
Ave runs scored 5.71
Avg runs allowed 4.29

This year:
Placed 10th
Record 5-2
Win % 71.4
Runs scored 45
Runs allowed 25
Avg runs scored 6.43
Avg runs allowed 3.57

Apr 11, 2012
Well the tourney went rather good, we didn't win but we improved from last year and that should be everyone's goal. The weather conditions were not the best, rain on and off the whole time. BUT, the host really worked their tails off to keep the fields playable and without too much delay.*

Furthest team was from Pennysilvania, they said about 900 miles one way. ( I love high school ball, not sure if I'd travel 1800 miles to play ) Had a team west of Chicago, a few more from southern IL, a few from AL, South Carolina, Ohio, and West Virginia. And of course the great state of Tennessee. :)

I'd recommend this tourney to anyone. No doubt some of the best HS teams east of the Mississippi river. Well organized and well run.

Very good improvements vs last year, I'm proud of the girls!!
Last year:
Placed 18th
Record 4-3
Win % 57.1
Runs scored 40
Runs allowed 30
Ave runs scored 5.71
Avg runs allowed 4.29

This year:
Placed 10th
Record 5-2
Win % 71.4
Runs scored 45
Runs allowed 25
Avg runs scored 6.43
Avg runs allowed 3.57

that's good showing for sure, especially with some tough conditions....and I am a big fan of large HS tournaments....different styles and the hitters have to figure out new pitchers in a hurry....we played in an awesome one last fall in Oklahoma City, OK and we are going to Lincoln, NE this fall.....

one question....did any colleges send coaches or staff to watch and scout any?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
that's good showing for sure, especially with some tough conditions....and I am a big fan of large HS tournaments....different styles and the hitters have to figure out new pitchers in a hurry....we played in an awesome one last fall in Oklahoma City, OK and we are going to Lincoln, NE this fall.....

one question....did any colleges send coaches or staff to watch and scout any?

I didn't see any college staff. The tourney was spread out over 4 locations. A couple of the parents from the local HS's entered said a few "close" colleges were there. I can't confirm this. But the question would be we're they scouting or just watching their future/signed players?

To be honest I can't imagine many ( if any ) staff would be there, aren't most playing this time of year themselves? Once you get to the sub-state and state playoffs, you'll start to see the colleges come out in good numbers.

We got another "smaller" tourney this weekend, 32 teams. So far the weather forecast looks good. :)

How is the one in OKC? How many teams usually enter and how far away do they come?

Apr 1, 2010
There is some talent at the HS that did not even bother to try out, including a servicable catcher. We only have a varsity team because not enough kids came to the try-outs to fill both V and JV teams. This is what can happen when you have to pay to participate. Our school's fee is $495 per sport per student with no relief for multiple sports.

$495 to play one sport? Oh my goodness! DD's school district has an annual $45 sports participation fee ($90 for a family with multiple athletes.) That seems like a fair amount to me.

Her future HS's annual four-day 3rd-8th grade spring softball camp starts this evening. Two hours each day for $45 (or $30 if signing up with 8+ from a team) plus a free t-shirt. I think it's their big fundraiser for the team and a pretty good deal too for the price IMO. I'm sorry that your DD's school district is pricing kids out of playing instead of looking for other ways to raise money. That's a real shame.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl