How to tell who is #1 and who is #2

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Working to be the fastest runner on a team of turtles only encourages you to be the fastest turtle. If this is something you are serious about, consider the larger pond or ocean and set the bar higher.

May 15, 2016
A lot of colleges and hence TB teams have gone to more of a pitching staff approach vs. riding one pitcher. Therefore there could be more of a 1A and 1B vs. 1 and 2. If it really bothers you I would pay attention to which pitcher starts against the tougher opponents and which pitcher starts the championship game on Sunday. This is usually your #1.

Thanks, that was my assumption. There was one father on DD1's team last season who insisted the #1 pitcher should start the first game on both Saturday and Sunday. I didn't see how that made sense. But that is a side note.

It really doesn't bother me who is 1 or 2, I was just looking for a simple answer to offer DD2, now that she is pitching. In the tournament this past weekend, the parents had no way of knowing who was the tougher opponent, and being a young 14u team, it will be a long while before my DDs' team reaches the championship game.

As others have suggested, I am going to have to find a way to focus her need for benchmarks by having her set specific goals for herself, and not compare herself to her teammates.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
HC/AC/best friend of either dd is #1 pitcher. J/k...sorta.
Honestly,as long as she continues to work on her weakness and enjoy pitching, she will do good. It is when they are forced to pitch because that is what someone else wants is when they don't make much progress. You normally can see it on their face when they don't really want to pitch but have to. At this age, it should be fun. They should enjoy pitching no matter if they are the #1, #2, #3 or #4.
You will be surprised at how that #4 pitcher that enjoyed pitching because it is something she wanted is doing at the upper level vs the #1 who did it because she was the most athlete girl on the team. Our HS left outfield is a beast in that position, she was a pitcher for many years. She is going to play college ball as an outfielder.

Last edited:
May 15, 2016
It is when they are forced to pitch because that is what someone else wants is when they don't make much progress. At this age, it should be fun. They should enjoy pitching no matter if they are the #1, #2, #3 or #4.

I agree, and the deal I have with my both my DDs is they have to ask me to go out to practice, I am not going to remind them. I figure if they are not enjoying it, they will not ask to go out to practice. I have told them if they do not practice 3 or 4 times a week, after a lesson, then they do not get another lesson. No point in taking lessons if nothing is reinforced in between.

For both of my girls, they want to be the best at their position on their team. Luckily, they do not play the same position. I do want them to focus on their individual improvement, but I can't fault their competitive spirit to be the best at their position.

Feb 7, 2013
There was one father on DD1's team last season who insisted the #1 pitcher should start the first game on both Saturday and Sunday. I didn't see how that made sense. But that is a side note.

It really depends on the type of tournament and what the goals of the team are. In general, you want to play your best players as much as possible if you are looking to be competitive in the tournament and get as far as you can, if for no other reason than to get the opportunity as a team to play more games which benefits all players. For example, if pool play determines seeding on Sunday, pool play games are not necessarily throw away games but are important to get a high seed with a better draw, especially if the tournament is a qualifier.

If its the "off-season", you might want to get all the players an equal opportunity to play, especially if its friendlies, scrimmages, showcase, local tournament, etc. where its more developmental or in the case of showcases, the opportunity to be seen by college coaches.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
It really depends on the type of tournament and what the goals of the team are. In general, you want to play your best players as much as possible if you are looking to be competitive in the tournament and get as far as you can, if for no other reason than to get the opportunity as a team to play more games which benefits all players. For example, if pool play determines seeding on Sunday, pool play games are not necessarily throw away games but are important to get a high seed with a better draw, especially if the tournament is a qualifier.

If its the "off-season", you might want to get all the players an equal opportunity to play, especially if its friendlies, scrimmages, showcase, local tournament, etc. where its more developmental or in the case of showcases, the opportunity to be seen by college coaches.

Rocketech1 makes some good points here. I will add that much is determined by the quality of your overall team. For example:
* At 14u our team was slightly better than .500. As a group, our goal was to play more than 1 game on Sunday. Anything beyond that was a bonus. We managed our team accordingly. In most cases our top pitcher was in the circle for game 1 on Sunday.
* This summer at 18u our expectation was that we were going to be playing for tournament championships. We considered pool play as less important because we believed we could compete with any team there (assuming we played to our ability). We have 4 pitchers on our roster that I trust to have in the circle at any time, regardless of game or situation. Other factors make our decision such as match-ups.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
My DD wants to become the #1 pitcher on her team. How would she know if she is #1 or #2? Is there really a way for a parent to recognize that distinction, without directly asking the HC?

I would tell your DD that being part of a team supersedes who is #1, #2, or # whatever. Be the best pitcher you can be and don't worry about what "number" you are. I think it's awesome if you can't actually tell.

Team first - play for the name on the front, not the back.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
I have 3 very good pitchers. Each has a different look and brings something to the table that the others do not have. I could not say who is #1, #2, #3. It all depends on what we are facing and who is on for that day. It was the same at SC for Jake when she pitched alongside Nickie Blue. Unlike most SEC teams they often split games. Who started and who closed depended on what they saw in the videos, the instincts of Coach Bev and even the weather. Strong gusty wind blowing straight out to CF is not the time to throw riseballs so Jake was not a #1 choice. They would go with Nickie and her heavy drop ball. On the flip side if the wind was blowing in it is a great time to throw riseballs so Jake would start. All things equal typically Jake would start and Nickie would close, because like Bill Hillhouse has often said, in a close game you do not throw a pitch that will leave the park (riseball) in the late innings. I am also a big proponent of not throwing the kid the opposition has seen before. Last season SC beat #1 (at the time) FSU. Beat them bad. They undoubtedly prepared to face Seniors Jake or Nickie. So SC threw their freshman Kayla Drotar who threw the game of her life.

I am a little late on this subject, but greatly appreciate your post. This #1 and #2 pitcher thing is a pet peeve of mine. To a certain extent, I think the #1 pitcher mentality should be a thing of the past. I believe it evolved when you just didn't have that many quality pitchers or if you have a team with only one quality pitcher. On my DDs travel team they have three quality pitchers. They will throw in a rotation in a showcase or in a tournament it depends on who we are facing and the coaches will change pitchers about every 3 innings...it just all depends on different variables. I was at the FSU game last year...Kayla was on fire from the first warm-up pitch...it was amazing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00