How to take this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Been coaching a core of girls since 10U, now 1st year 14U. Last year I decided to move to coaching with another organization (all the parents and girls also moved). The HS Varsity Coach, who has been very successful, and is a top pitching instructor in our area, is the overall one who runs the program. This year he wanted to coach the 14U team, which I was thrilled at to learn some things from him. We coached the Fall team and are planning to coach the Spring team as well.

To make a long story even longer... He holds Winter pitching lessons at another HS in the area. He hasn't mentioned anything to any of our pitchers, or to me about this. Talking to a dad of another player on a different team told me that he was full and wasn't taking anymore kids. I have confirmed this and it bothers me a little because he didn't include any of his pitchers on his team to participate. How should I react to this?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Good pitching coaches tend to be very busy and they also are unique individuals.

There are a lot of reasons why this might have happened. His classes could have already been filled. Perhaps none of your girls are good enough. Maybe he thought he didn't want to "double bill" the girls for knowledge. Maybe he took a look at the Daddies and didn't want to see them during the winter.

Talk to him about it and ask him how to get the girls in next year.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
I think Sluggers has a point..... pitchers may not be good enough or maybe they don'yt have the work ethic or commitment and that would waste his time, along with frustrate him..... and again, its possible the parents might be the issue......
*** I wouldn't take it negative though, he probably has valid reasons and good coaches are always busy and have to have limits....

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Our coaches give clinics, some 6+ hours away, they dont invite any of our girls. Why? because our girls already get their instruction, all the time. The clinics are for those who dont normally have access to them. Their charges are nominal $50/girl for 2 days, by the time they rent facility, insurance, provide water for attendees, , transportation, food, and lodging for staff, etc, they clear very little for our organization. The real benefit is 1) helping girls, 2) getting free stuff donated from mfgs (that they keep, cases of balls, etc)

In the case of your coach, what would it look like if he charged his own players for instruction??? Pretty bad. Seems to me, its sort of the same thing. His clinic is for other players, not the ones that get his services for free all the time.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
I'd think it would be pretty awkward to charge your own players for pitching lessons. Perhaps he's run into that scenario before and purposely avoids it based on experience

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
yeah, I've always said, I nevcer charge my own players for lessons, its just extra work and if they have teh work ethic, I make myself available, BUT if they don't play for me, I do, otherwise my schedule gets out of control.
**** Its really hard to judge another coach when we really don't know the situation and its not right to speculate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06