How good for Division III?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
DD currently plays 16U A travel ball. She started at 14U C at 13 years old, then played 14U A, then 16U B. It isn't really high level A travel ball, but they get their share of wins and do well enough to qualify for the national events. I expect that you would need to play travel ball to play at a NESCAC school, but maybe there are some walk-ons who didn't play TB. Someone else with more knowledge of the NESCAC schools, please comment.

First, RB's advice is very much on target. While there are viable college options for almost any SB player with a modicum of talent, it is important to honestly and carefully determine your academic and softball priorities before getting too far along in the process.

Putting SB aside, all the NESCAC schools are highly selective - 2000 SATs and a 3.7 GPA will put you in the lower quarter of a highly competitive applicant pool. Noting that the acceptance rates are low (+/- 10% at Williams/Amherst) and the small size of the schools (most 1000-2500 w/ Tufts approx. 5000? undergrad), it is extremely difficult to standout among the extremely talented applicant pool. SB can be one of those things that can improve your chances if your ability garners the attention and support of the SB coach.

Softball wise, Tufts obviously is the class of the NESCAC as the 2-time reigning D3 champ and has several players that could play for most D1s. While the strength of the other NESCAC schools varies, rest assured that most, if not all, players were dedicated, talented TB players or at least serious HS SB standouts.

My DD's academic/athletic objectives had her thinking D3 from the beginning and one of the NESCAC schools was her long-shot, dream school. This fall she will be a Jr. at a school in the next lower admissions tier, is very happy with her choice, and playing SB (honorable mention All Conference :)) on a competitive, but sub-500 team (pitching needed!). She's played several games the past 2 years v. NESCAC schools and other D3 playoff teams (including 1 that made the final 8 in TX), as well as several games v. some D3s on the other end of the spectrum. My observations support RB's conclusion that, softball-wise, their are options available for any serious player, but that the hard part is finding the right fit based on a player's academic goals and softball abilities. The advice that served my DD well was to ID a short list of schools (5-15 or so) that met her academic and other key selection criteria, explore the SB options that each offered, and market herself/apply to her top choices (Note: injuries prevented the typical summer TB exposure opps for my DD).

My advice: Do your homework, have clear objectives, reach for the stars, make honest assessments, and enjoy the ride!

May 23, 2010
Greenmonsters, thanks for the response. I suspect that the OP's kid is in a similar situation to mine (though I am guessing the OP's DD is a bit younger than mine). I'm not too worried about the academics - my kid is above 25th percentile SAT score for all of the NESCAC schools and she has her whole junior year to retake the SAT. Course rigor and GPA are good too. It is more the softball ability that is of concern. If she wants to play in college (not sure if she really does), I think that there is some DIII school out there that would take her. Just might not be the school she wants (and she doesn't know what she wants yet, either). Any suggestions on how to narrow the list of schools? She isn't like her sister, who knew what she wanted to study.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I teach part-time at a D3 school. One of my students was on the field hockey team, and then I noticed that she was on the softball roster as well. I asked her about it, and she said, "I'm not very good. I've never actually played before. I'm just really fast so I pinch-run a lot."

Some kids will go get their required classes done at a less expensive school, and maybe play a little ball while they are there, then move on to the school where they want to complete their major even if it means giving up sports.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think she could possibly be a National Merit Scholar. Wondering if she sticks it out and improves, could she be a candidate for a Div III school with strong academics.
Would she need to play A level travel ball and at what level within A?

First, your DD should play softball at the level that fits her. You want her to play at the highest level where she gets substantial playing time. There is no point for to be on an "A" team if she sits the bench. There is no point for her to be on a "B" team if she bats .750.

Second, you can do is use her athletic ability and her grades to get into a better school than she normally could.

E.g., while your DD may be a great student, it is doubtful that she would get into a school like University of Chicago based simply on her academics. However, if you go talk to the softball coach, then your DD's chances of being accepted would go up.

Similarly, she might be able to get into a D1 school like Princeton or Cornell with her academics plus her athletics.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Greenmonsters, thanks for the response. I suspect that the OP's kid is in a similar situation to mine (though I am guessing the OP's DD is a bit younger than mine). I'm not too worried about the academics - my kid is above 25th percentile SAT score for all of the NESCAC schools and she has her whole junior year to retake the SAT. Course rigor and GPA are good too. It is more the softball ability that is of concern. If she wants to play in college (not sure if she really does), I think that there is some DIII school out there that would take her. Just might not be the school she wants (and she doesn't know what she wants yet, either). Any suggestions on how to narrow the list of schools? She isn't like her sister, who knew what she wanted to study.

Good to hear - strong scores, classes, and grades ensure many good options. Just recognize a monkey could probably pick out a top notch freshman class from the highly qualified applicant pools so its all about what differentiates one student from the others in the pool. IMO, a liberal arts school such as those in the NESCAC are a good choice for those serious about academics but unsure what they want to study. There's plenty of good references and guidance and even a niche service sector out there to help HS students determine their individual college selection criteria and then identify potential safeties, fits, and reaches among schools that meet those criteria. I'd suggest following that process and then once you've done that, then add SB to the equation (investigate the programs, contact coaches, try to play in front of them etc) and see where that leaves you and re-visit the list or criteria if/as appropriate. It's also important to realize that a D3 walk-on is ensured a good look as they aren't faced with the disadvantage that they might be at a D1 or D2 when there's athletic scholarship money invested in the other players.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarie1234