How good for Division III?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2014
My DD is not a great softball player but has untapped potential, enjoys the game, and tends to stick things out longer than others. More marathon than sprint. Her academics are extremely strong -- top of class, top 1% nation standardized testing, etc. I think she could possibly be a National Merit Scholar. Wondering if she sticks it out and improves, could she be a candidate for a Div III school with strong academics.
Would she need to play A level travel ball and at what level within A?
Could she be a really strong B level player?
I think with work and dedication to the sport, she will end up strong B, low A player.
Thanks.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
If her academics are that strong then she can play about anywhere. I know many kids playing softball in D3 programs that are playing softball that were not recruited to play.

Oct 22, 2009
The short answer is yes. If she really wants to play college ball she can.

Dec 7, 2011
D3 around here will take top HS players that don't play TB A or B even.

The biggest "gotcha" that D3 players report back, at least for the ones who want to play some fairly dedicated softball is that D3 softball organizations can be the least serious softball "organizations" out there in the world. Those who like/need to see team commitment may get disappointed.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Just like D1, D2, NJCAA, and NAIA there are some D3's that are very competitive and there are those that are not. I know a coach at a very strong D3 program who has turned down D1 jobs because he has built a strong program and as he has said "All the players really want to be here and I don't have to explain things more than once." Regardless where your DD lands she has to find the program that is right for her. I have said it in other threads:

Some go to college to get an education and play softball.

Some go to college to play softball and get an education.

Neither one is right or wrong but you need to know where you fit in. If you DD is very competitive and used to playing intense softball for a successful TB team, she will probably not be happy with a program where .500 is a successful season. Conversely if softball is a means to an end for a education it may not matter. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Years ago we had one player that got a full ride to SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) and after 1 year there they cut the softball program but honored the rest of her scholarship for 3 more years. She was thrilled. She was more than happy to hang up her cleats and focus solely on school.

My DD is the exact opposite and on one visit to a very good D1 the coach told her "We often take Fridays off when we do not have games. I don't want you to get tired of playing softball." After that and some other "vibes" that school did not make the cut.

Opportunities are everywhere but you have to find the one that fits regardless of the classification of the school.

May 23, 2010
I'm a bit confused since you mention possible NMSF,though it seems she has a few years to go in school. My middle kid is in a similar situation to your DD. My kid is a rising junior and I think she has a shot at NMSF if she prepares since she has an SAT 2100+ and our state cutoff is typically 214-217.

She is not the strongest player, but she can play most positions (except pitcher) and do a decent job. She isn't hitting it out of the park but typically puts the ball in play (2 strikeouts in 72 plate appearances in HS), gets the occasional extra base hit and has a decent BA.

DH thinks she can't play DIII, but I have been told by plenty of others that a kid with her academics and some softball skills can play at some academically (and but not softball) elite DIII schools. I think if my kid wants to play in college, there will be a coach willing to take her...just might not be at her school of choice. I would expect the same to be true for your DD.

Jun 10, 2014
I'm a bit confused since you mention possible NMSF,though it seems she has a few years to go in school. My middle kid is in a similar situation to your DD. My kid is a rising junior and I think she has a shot at NMSF if she prepares since she has an SAT 2100+ and our state cutoff is typically 214-217.

She is not the strongest player, but she can play most positions (except pitcher) and do a decent job. She isn't hitting it out of the park but typically puts the ball in play (2 strikeouts in 72 plate appearances in HS), gets the occasional extra base hit and has a decent BA.

DH thinks she can't play DIII, but I have been told by plenty of others that a kid with her academics and some softball skills can play at some academically (and but not softball) elite DIII schools. I think if my kid wants to play in college, there will be a coach willing to take her...just might not be at her school of choice. I would expect the same to be true for your DD.

What does DD when not playing HS? What level travel?
Also thinking along lines of Williams, Amberst, Tufts, etc. Do you have to be A TB?

May 23, 2010
DD currently plays 16U A travel ball. She started at 14U C at 13 years old, then played 14U A, then 16U B. It isn't really high level A travel ball, but they get their share of wins and do well enough to qualify for the national events. I expect that you would need to play travel ball to play at a NESCAC school, but maybe there are some walk-ons who didn't play TB. Someone else with more knowledge of the NESCAC schools, please comment.

Oct 25, 2009
Just like D1, D2, NJCAA, and NAIA there are some D3's that are very competitive and there are those that are not. I know a coach at a very strong D3 program who has turned down D1 jobs because he has built a strong program and as he has said "All the players really want to be here and I don't have to explain things more than once." Regardless where your DD lands she has to find the program that is right for her. I have said it in other threads:

Some go to college to get an education and play softball.

Some go to college to play softball and get an education.

Neither one is right or wrong but you need to know where you fit in. If you DD is very competitive and used to playing intense softball for a successful TB team, she will probably not be happy with a program where .500 is a successful season. Conversely if softball is a means to an end for a education it may not matter. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Years ago we had one player that got a full ride to SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) and after 1 year there they cut the softball program but honored the rest of her scholarship for 3 more years. She was thrilled. She was more than happy to hang up her cleats and focus solely on school.

My DD is the exact opposite and on one visit to a very good D1 the coach told her "We often take Fridays off when we do not have games. I don't want you to get tired of playing softball." After that and some other "vibes" that school did not make the cut.

Opportunities are everywhere but you have to find the one that fits regardless of the classification of the school.

Brings thoughts of John Tschida from Minnesota!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44