How exactly does committing/signing work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2015
Also, I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but scholarships can be handed out as a 4 year deal, or renewable year by year.

Obviously you want the 4 year deal, so make sure you are understanding the offer when you get it. The coach will give you a piece of paper that lays it out when the offer is given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2013
Nobody has mentioned the COA (Cost of Attendance) or the fact that the NCAA allows 110% of cost as maximum. 10% can be hit or miss at different programs.

If this is in play, 10% of the total cost goes back to the student (per quarter/semester) for things such as toothpaste, etc.

The students are also allowed to modify their meal plan, and the difference will go back to them, modifiable per semester/quarter.

The P5 COA allowance doesn’t necessarily work the same way in equivalency sports (softball) the way it does in head count sports like football. For softball the coach can allot the COA money to the individual on top of their scholarship, give it to a non scholarship player or increase the s holarship of a different player. In essence the COA rules give P5 programs roughly 13 scholarships instead of 12. Not sure why the NCAA allows this.

When the COA rules were allowed in 2016 for P5 conferences they also established four year guaranteed scholarships for all athletes. Whatever they sign for in other NLI is guaranteed and cannot be reduced due to athletic reasons. Coaches can award additional money theta year to year, but the initial NLI amount stays.

Aug 5, 2022
There is also some extra money available at the power 5 level to athletes called the Alton money…non counting and about 6k dollars a year. This is a great thing for equivalency sports!

Nov 18, 2013
There is also some extra money available at the power 5 level to athletes called the Alton money…non counting and about 6k dollars a year. This is a great thing for equivalency sports!

Unless something’s changed recently Alston money varies by school and only a few are offering the full amount. It’s a nice perk for those who can get it though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802