how do you start the fire?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
i think this year will be a more difficult one for her. She is in her first year on the 10U travel ball team, so she doesnt get much playing time. I think that has something to do with it as well. she still enjoys it and has fun, but i think that might get to her a little bit. its more so a learning curve for next year when she will play alot more.

I overlooked this post. This might be your answer right there. I've never met a 9-year-old who wants to be on a team that doesn't let her play. I'm going to make a great big generalization here, but if someone coaches a 10U team where some of their players 'don't get much playing time,' then very likely this coach is in it for the wrong reason. They are very likely in it for themselves or their daughter, but not to help kids. Kids' desire to play is far greater at this age than their desire to get better or to win, and that's fine. It's age appropriate. No need to change them. One of my major pet peeves are these kinds of teams.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2012
I overlooked this post. This might be your answer right there. I've never met a 9-year-old who wants to be on a team that doesn't let her play. I'm going to make a great big generalization here, but if someone coaches a 10U team where some of their players 'don't get much playing time,' then very likely this coach is in it for the wrong reason. They are ery likely in it for themselves or their daughter, but not to help kids. Kids' desire to play is far greater at this age than their desire to get better or to win, and that's fine. It's age appropriate. No need to change them. One of my major pet peeves are these kinds of teams.

I do wonder about that at times. He I think he does get the joy of winning, his daughter is the #1 pitcher right now as well.. we do play league as well and that is when the "other" girls.. including my DD will get to play more, but when it comes to the tournaments, many of the younger girls do not play much.. I think they do get caught up in winning, and maybe you guys are right.. maybe its not the team for her. It is definitely something to think about.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
... his daughter is the #1 pitcher right now as well..

Of course.

I suspect that this coach, though perhaps well-intentioned, is exploiting other kids to help himself meet his own competitive needs and his desire to give his daughter the opportunity to shine at the expense of kids sitting the bench. I strongly doubt he understands 9- and 10-year-old girls if he's got them sitting the bench. Not saying playing time needs to be equal, but no 9-year-old should be ''not getting much playing time.'' A coach may rationalize it by saying travel ball is competitive and everybody must earn playing time, this is teaching them life's lessons, how to be team players, unselfish, etc.

But it's all BS.

They're just 9 and 10-years-old. They already know that they have to 'earn' things. They see that not everybody can play shortstop, that not everybody can bat high in the lineup, that not everybody can even make this team, that they have to try out and make it. They have to study and do homework to do well in school. That's plenty of competition for them at age 9-10. They do not need to sit the bench to learn that. They need to play the field and bat so they can learn to field and to bat and have fun. Kids this age don't pass a ballfield and see kids playing and think, 'Boy, I really want to get out there and beat that other team! I want to win!' And I'll sit the bench if I have to!' Instead, they think, 'I'd like to try to hit that ball. I'd like to throw it. I'd like to catch it. They're having fun. Can I try it?'

But coaches too often make it about what they think it should be, not what kids want it to be.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2013
That's the wrong team for her. Every 10u team should be focused on player development, which is achieved by ensuring each player is getting plenty of playing time. This is tweaked slightly during the final month or so for 2nd-year 10u teams gearing up for Nationals.

Agreed! I'm in my first year coaching 10U travel ball and I set the expectation from Day 1 that this was about learning and development. Girls have been playing multiple positions and I try my best to get every girl into a rotation in the IF for 2 innings of a scrimmage. Everyone sits an equal amount.

Apr 7, 2012
scrimmage, but not in the tournaments right? all of the younger girls play outfield during the tournaments.. none of them will probalby ever see the infield.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad