How do you part ways from a coach you've been coaching with for awhile.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm in my 5th year of coaching LL ball with the same two guys.

The same guy has been manager for the whole time and can get a little hot under the collar sometimes. I'm thinking that when we move up to the next level (Senior League) I should move on. The problem is, last year he was talking about moving up to the Senior league and having his two coaches (and their DDs) go with him. at the time it was a long way off and I thought sure, why not. DDs really enjoy playing together, just keep it going.

I guess my problem is that after all this time I'm seeing some problems that I didn't pay attention to before, but now seem like potentially insurmountable issues.

1) he tends to speak first without thinking or trying to understand another's point of view. (this could be a player, umpire whatever) yelling at a kid for a perceived screw-up rather than talking to the kid calmly and finding out what they were thinking and using aa a teaching moment. Done this to DD a couple of times where he was 180 deg wrong.

2) he tends to blame kids for making mistakes. He thinks he's just being truthful about stuff that they need to fix and won't know unless he tells them. Whatever he said after one game, he had my wife and DD believing that he came right out and blamed her for the team's loss. In a game over the weekend, he had one (10yo) girl in tears because she wasn't playing her position (SS) to the level needed. He's the one who put her there and she didn't misrepresent herself.

3) He over-commits and doesn't work with his team. He coaches soccer, and a Senior League team and is self-employed but has been to about one practice all year. When I was unavailable for a practice one time he canceled it. This is a team that needs a LOT of practice. I have been leaving work early whenever I can get away with it to hold practices - going back to early April.

4) he expects kids to magically learn to throw correctly and hit better without teaching them how.

5) He will sit on a bucket and yell at the umpire, arguing a call, making a scene rather than walking over and talking to him about it. These umpires are friends of ours. Sometimes they see things differently than we do. what benefit does it have to treat an ump like that?

6) he does nothing to make his team want to play (or win) for him. But he still expects to win.

I know I've made my bed and all that, but does anyone have any recommendations for a smooth trnsition without impact kids (AND)adults friendships?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We were in a similar situation last year and had a heated conversation with DD’s Manager after the season was over. Conversation was along the line of: “Thanks for all the effort you have put in this year, DD enjoyed playing for your Team”. “DD will never play for you again”. :)

Against my better judgment the commissioner of the league talked us into playing DD on the same Team again this year. It was a mistake and we are just trying to survive the year.

DD’s Manager and I have an uncomfortable relationship but it has not filtered down to DD. I also have not seen an Issue with the players/ parents that were smart enough to switch Teams. Manager ignores them but that seems to be the best for everyone.

Oct 25, 2009
Just slip out the back, Jack. Make a new plan, Stan. No need to be coy, Roy. Just set yourself free! :)

What would you be doing instead? Maybe HC on another team? If so, tell him you want to strike out on your own. No pun intended.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Actually, that's where it gets REALLY complicated. We both have older DDs on the same SR league team (they've become good friends). When our DDs were first drafted, the then rear't coach had promised each of us an asst. coaching position when he took the team over the following year. (he and I coach a winter league team together and had coached together in Majors) problem was, some parents of kids who were already on the team got wind of this and told the coach they would pull their kids if my counterpart joined the team. So, for the past 2 seasons, they have begged two guys to keep coming back even though they don't have DD's on the team. The coach explained to me that that they couldn't take me without him.

Coach had a health setback and brought in a completely new coach to take over.

Fast forwrd to this year- I was talking to the former head coach about my frustration after one of these games and saying that I was thinking of hanging it up after this year, when he said why don't you coach with us? (I coach with both of them in the winter league).
I share the same coaching philosophies with these guys so it would be an easy fit - but it would be a real slap in the face to my current coaching counterpart.

I may just hang it up and concentrate only on my kids and maybe a couple others. Let DD go into the Draft and let the chips land where they may.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
LOL, Softballphreak, you took my lines.

As to the problem. No need to be dramatic, just say you and DD have decided to try something different. NO bridges burned, no feelings hurt, just trying to expand DD's circle of friends and try new methods of play so she won't have trouble mixing into a new team when she is older.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Honesty. Just calmly tell him that while you like him as a person, and your years long coaching relationship shows this to be true, you find your coaching style not a good fit with his. Therefore, I am not going to coach with you next year and when we move up I am going to coach with Manager X who I also have a years long coaching relationship.

Don't get into specifics, don't tell him what an over committed jackass he is. Don't tell him he has no idea what he is doing, just a simple your style and mine no longer mesh.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
(A) There is nothing that you can say to the current coach that is going to make the light in the attic turn on. So, it isn't worth offering explanations. Just say, "It's been fun. Thanks for everything!"
(B) If you want to coach with the other guy, then go coach with the other guy. Don't waste 5 minutes worrying about it. There is one great truth in life: Time passes much, much too quickly. Spend you time with your DD, not babysitting some idiot coach.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG