Hitting down on the ball--how to fix

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Got a kid who has this terrible swing....she chops down on everything. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023
Had my DD hold her finish, stopping the bat around 9 o'clock if looking top down and the pitcher is at 12. I would reposition her to a better finish and then challenged her to get to that checkpoint every swing.

Had to add in a cue to make sure the catcher can see your number so she would rotate and not stop too soon.

Jul 1, 2022
I have a girl like this on my DDs rec team this season.

I like using the knob/hands to ball cue for really new hitters. Mostly what I say is to turn the body and punch hands out to the ball.

Not the ideal swing but it gets them contact in coach pitch and is way better than striking out 4 times in a row.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

May 11, 2018
DD had this problem. it turned out she was putting to much weight on her front leg and not stay more on her back. I have no idea why this caused it but staying on her back leg more corrected it. it could also be for a girl that young she is hesitating to long and thats the fastest way to make contact. good luck

Sep 21, 2017
PA
Some I like for bat path, in no particular order....different things work for different kids.

Conversations I have
- 1st, make sure their load and launch position are correct. It all starts there.
- Understanding swing sequence
- Anything that forces early palm up/down position.
- Learning how to turn well from the middle/torso.
- I like to say "turn and keep the triangle". I tell them each elbow and the knob create a triangle and turn the triangle first, then keep it as you turn until you work through the ball to the direction of your follow through/finish.

Drills
- 45/90 degree open drills off a tee
- Rope Bat
- Throwing frisbees/bucket lids
- Slow motion feels with a long PVC - into full swings
- See-Saw Drill

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Some I like for bat path, in no particular order....different things work for different kids.

Conversations I have
- 1st, make sure their load and launch position are correct. It all starts there.
- Understanding swing sequence
- Anything that forces early palm up/down position.
- Learning how to turn well from the middle/torso.
- I like to say "turn and keep the triangle". I tell them each elbow and the knob create a triangle and turn the triangle first, then keep it as you turn until you work through the ball to the direction of your follow through/finish.

Drills
- 45/90 degree open drills off a tee
- Rope Bat
- Throwing frisbees/bucket lids
- Slow motion feels with a long PVC - into full swings
- See-Saw Drill
Thanks. Suppose you have 10 minutes to work with her. What do you do? Which of these drills give you the biggest bang for the buck?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles