Hit and Run. How do you teach this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
We share a philosophy on this.

Steal sign = batter better take the pitch
Run and Hit sign = batter gets to swing (and probably should if it's a decent pitch)

This is how I think of it, more of a green light to the hitter. Straight steal you’re taking (or wagging the bat in a faux bunt attempt if you’re one of those people). Run and hit you’re free to swing at a pitch you like, not being forced to take a strike.

As others have said, I’ve seen many more line out DPs than grounders so I’m pretty skeptical of the utility of the hit & run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Straight steal you’re taking (or wagging the bat in a faux bunt attempt if you’re one of those people).

I hate this unless it's an actual legitimate fake bunt attempt to draw the 3B in (which usually doesn't come in the form of silly wagging). It probably doesn't work at higher levels, but against some teams, you might pull the 3B in and the SS either won't cover or won't get there fast enough to have a play on a runner stealing third.

Oct 26, 2019
A different way for everyone to think about the hit and run. I used them a lot more in baseball and admittedly not as often in softball for some of the reasons mentioned here.

I almost always give the hit and run sign in a hitters count. 1-0, 2-0, 3-1 when the pitcher has been around the plate and not walking many. I teach the hitter must swing no matter what. Worst case even on a swing and miss it keeps the catcher back increasing your steal chances. My goal is not to just stay out of the double play. My goal is to create movement in the infield and open up the field. The runner stealing must see contact in case it’s a pop up. Best case scenario we would drive a ball to the gap and score the runner from first.

Bonus - I sometimes use it to get a hitter out of their own head. Something freeing about Coach telling you that you have to swing. Way less thought involved.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414