Hip Rotation Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2009
I have a basic question about hip rotation.

I have heard (every time I watch a televised SB game) that the hip rotates to a 45-52 degree angle at release. My question concerns the mechanism that creates this rotation. Is this a passive movement brought about by the right leg (RHP) driving forward, or is this a more active/conscious movement brought about by the core muscles engaging to create rotation when the stride foot lands?

May 12, 2008
I wouldn't teach it as a concious movement but I see it in every good pitcher and it looks like part of the kinetic chain to me. Some a lot less (Finch)-some a lot more (Ueno) but I see it in all of them. Certainly the hip finishes closing after release. We can't talk about pelvic rotation (opening and or closing) being a passive movement caused by leg drive. There are many muscles acting on the pelvis in this clip. MOV 3 of 3, Windmill

Jul 14, 2008
I wouldn't teach it as a concious movement but I see it in every good pitcher and it looks like part of the kinetic chain to me. Some a lot less (Finch)-some a lot more (Ueno) but I see it in all of them. Certainly the hip finishes closing after release. We can't talk about pelvic rotation (opening and or closing) being a passive movement caused by leg drive. There are many muscles acting on the pelvis in this clip. MOV 3 of 3, Windmill

Definately NOT a concious movement UNLESS........IT AIN'T MOVIN AT ALL......:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom