High School Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Just finished with homework (Chinese 2, Algebra 2 and Biology were killers tonight), so… figured I'd update. Our practices are going well. Were slowly getting ready to play our first game next Friday. Starters have been chosen for all positions except pitcher, catcher, first and third bases. Pitcher is down to three girls battling it out and the other positions is down to two. Ag catcher, its down to the girl with most travel ball experience and me. At batting practice, we did a little competition to who could get more hits… I won that 13-9 out of 25 pitches. I also did better in a throwing accuracy drill hitting 15 of 25 targets to her 12 of 25. She still beat in ball blocking though but I feel like I'm improving at the position. Coach would like to have all his starters selected by Monday or Tuesday. So, I guess I need to work harder if I'm hoping to get significant game time. Of course, he could choose my competition since she's a senior this year. Never understood why being a senior would gain her more starting time than a younger player with as much ability? Oh well, tomorrow is another practice.

Many HS coaches feel that more game experience at the HS level is paramount. Others feel that the more senior players have put in their time sitting the bench behind other older players and deserve to start no matter what. The HS coach that wants to win, will put the best player that THEY feel is the best all around package. In your case, the best receiving catcher that gets the most strike calls should win IMO. That said, PB and WP HAVE to be blocked unless they take a horrible bounce off of the plate or a stone nobody saw pregame. IMO, those are the 2 most important skills. A close third or fourth, depending upon how you look at it, is throwing down to second with speed and accuracy and then snaps to 1st and 3rd to control the BR's. Others will have differing opinions. That said, it isn't your call or anyone else's and the only person's opinion that matters is your HS HC's. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Of course, he could choose my competition since she's a senior this year. Never understood why being a senior would gain her more starting time than a younger player with as much ability?

Is beating out this player your only avenue to the starting lineup? Most HS coaches try to get the best 9 players in the lineup. Your best 2 catchers are often among the best 9 overall.

As to seniority, folks here probably won't agree w/ me, but if I've got a girl who's been on JV for 2 seasons and spent 1 year on the varsity bench, and this is her senior season, and she's competing w/ a sophomore for the starting catcher spot, and there's no appreciable difference between the two skill wise, then yeah I'm going w/ the senior. I didn't explain the 'why' question you had about it, but I'll go on record as saying that's what I'd do.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Coach would like to have all his starters selected by Monday or Tuesday. So, I guess I need to work harder if I'm hoping to get significant game time. Of course, he could choose my competition since she's a senior this year. Never understood why being a senior would gain her more starting time than a younger player with as much ability? Oh well, tomorrow is another practice.

Game One starter doesn't guarantee anyone that they are Game Two starter.. or game ten starter.

My DD's HS coach gave the returning players every chance they deserved to keep their day one spots. Some have.... some have not.

That plus one injury and opportunities have opened up for the bench this season already. Up to a player to grab them with both hands when they present themselves.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Is beating out this player your only avenue to the starting lineup? Most HS coaches try to get the best 9 players in the lineup. Your best 2 catchers are often among the best 9 overall.

As to seniority, folks here probably won't agree w/ me, but if I've got a girl who's been on JV for 2 seasons and spent 1 year on the varsity bench, and this is her senior season, and she's competing w/ a sophomore for the starting catcher spot, and there's no appreciable difference between the two skill wise, then yeah I'm going w/ the senior. I didn't explain the 'why' question you had about it, but I'll go on record as saying that's what I'd do.

I just saw this and thought I'd reply quick. The girl I'm competing against isn't my only opportunity to start. I could platoon with the girl I'm going up against, I could be a designated hitter, I can pitch, I could play the corner infield or somewhere in the outfield. The other girl and I were sitting at the base of the bleachers in the gym and we were talking, getting to know each other in between drills, drinking gatorade. She has been playing catcher since she was 8 and has been playing travel ball since then and playing school ball since 7th grade (varsity since 9th). I would love to start… but I'd be happy just platooning with her.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I just saw this and thought I'd reply quick. The girl I'm competing against isn't my only opportunity to start. I could platoon with the girl I'm going up against, I could be a designated hitter, I can pitch, I could play the corner infield or somewhere in the outfield. The other girl and I were sitting at the base of the bleachers in the gym and we were talking, getting to know each other in between drills, drinking gatorade. She has been playing catcher since she was 8 and has been playing travel ball since then and playing school ball since 7th grade (varsity since 9th). I would love to start… but I'd be happy just platooning with her.

If players have similar ability, then I think platooning is good, especially at catcher. That also extends the time the coach has to evaluate the players. It might be that the best 9 is more apparent 3 weeks into the season than now if the coach lets a lot of people play.

re: seniority - What I've seen in local high school teams teams is that giving older players the nod in close situations is good for morale and motivation in the long run. Seniors have no motivation to be on a team unless they play. They'd rather get on with their lives and get a job than grind through 3 months of sitting the bench. But a sophomore is more willing to wait her turn. She might not like it, but at least she sees a pathway to more playing time down the road, especially if she then believes she'll get some points for seniority next season or the next.

I don't want people to misinterpret what I'm saying, though. If playing the senior is going to lose games, or if the sophomore is just flat better, then you play the best player. I'm just saying that some consideration to seniority pay off in the bigger picture.

May 13, 2012
If players have similar ability, then I think platooning is good, especially at catcher. That also extends the time the coach has to evaluate the players. It might be that the best 9 is more apparent 3 weeks into the season than now if the coach lets a lot of people play.

re: seniority - What I've seen in local high school teams teams is that giving older players the nod in close situations is good for morale and motivation in the long run. Seniors have no motivation to be on a team unless they play. They'd rather get on with their lives and get a job than grind through 3 months of sitting the bench. But a sophomore is more willing to wait her turn. She might not like it, but at least she sees a pathway to more playing time down the road, especially if she then believes she'll get some points for seniority next season or the next.

I don't want people to misinterpret what I'm saying, though. If playing the senior is going to lose games, or if the sophomore is just flat better, then you play the best player. I'm just saying that some consideration to seniority pay off in the bigger picture.

This why our school has the shortest senior nights in girls sports. While there have been instances of younger being cosiderably better there are too many cases of younger plyers being equal or lesser getting the nod. Reasons range from the usual BS of money, politics or exceptional in another sport so coaches give them the nod undeserving. Now there is the ones that fall under pretty close the senior is good and the sophomore is really close. Coach looks at senior is topped out while equal now the sophomore may top at higher level with more reps. Thats the tough one im on the fence . So in most of the other cases the senior says I've got better things to do than spend off season with mandatory "volentary" workouts and grueling preseason with coaches acting like gods of all they see..then a season of coaches treating losses like the acopolysp has arrived and wins will get them a multi-million dollar coaching contract at D1 stud university to become the home town hero. So yes seniors walk and skip their final season. A sham.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Just got home from practice. Three more starters were named today. We now have our first base, third base and pitchers set. Catchers did some work with the pitchers today along with some other drills our coaches wanted us to do. I got to work with the girl named the starting pitcher and had some trouble receiving her pitches. She throws some unusual stuff and some of the motion and how her pitches were either dropping or rising was giving me some problems. So, its leaving me with a lot I need to work on, but… I feel confident I'll gain the necessary skills with time. Right now the catcher position is the only defensive position yet to have a starter named. I cant wait until Monday when the final starter will be named along with our designated hitter.

Jun 17, 2014
This why our school has the shortest senior nights in girls sports. While there have been instances of younger being cosiderably better there are too many cases of younger plyers being equal or lesser getting the nod. Reasons range from the usual BS of money, politics or exceptional in another sport so coaches give them the nod undeserving. Now there is the ones that fall under pretty close the senior is good and the sophomore is really close. Coach looks at senior is topped out while equal now the sophomore may top at higher level with more reps. Thats the tough one im on the fence . So in most of the other cases the senior says I've got better things to do than spend off season with mandatory "volentary" workouts and grueling preseason with coaches acting like gods of all they see..then a season of coaches treating losses like the acopolysp has arrived and wins will get them a multi-million dollar coaching contract at D1 stud university to become the home town hero. So yes seniors walk and skip their final season. A sham.

At my DDs school we lost two seniors from last year to this year - we only have one senior on the team this year. Both of the girls who left rarely played last year so I'm sure the reasons Phathead mentioned are why they aren't back for their senior year. But it was true that they were not as good as the other players that the coaches put in.

Good luck to softgabby!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12