High school sb

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2017
Do you coach at a private school?.....I only ask because around here public schools coaches can't schedule games for themselves. I think they can schedule 2-3 non league games, but then the rest are against the league that the team is in.
I'm sure it varies by state, and might even vary depending on the specific conference. But looking at my daughters schedule, they have 37 games scheduled. Only 12 of those are conference games (home and away game against the other 6 teams in conference). The other 25 would be up to the schools/AD/coaches to figure out. Of course, with this wonderful spring weather we're having, 3 of the first 8 have been postponed.

Dec 6, 2019
I guess being wealthy doesn't guarantee a good team, but being poor pretty much guarantees you won't be any good..that might be a better way of thinking about it (@sluggers point below is probably even better)
The poorest school in our conference is a regular state champion/final 4 participant. And it's not just a relative measurement. They have very serious funding issues and haven't passed a levy for years. Priorities I guess.

Jun 8, 2016
The poorest school in our conference is a regular state champion/final 4 participant. And it's not just a relative measurement. They have very serious funding issues and haven't passed a levy for years. Priorities I guess.
So none of their kids play TB and they still do well? Impressive.

Also yes, feeding your family is a priority over spending money on lessons, TB, etc.

Finally the school being poor and players who play for the school being poor are two different things (but often, unfortunately, correlated). You don't need fancy uniforms to win..what you need are players who have been able
get good training prior to HS which in the US of 2022 typically means 💲💲💲 mainly because you hardly see
any kids do stuff like this anymore:

and instead need $50 bucks and an open timeslot to get better.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I agree with sluggers and Pattar for the most part. My kids transferred to a private HS (competes in a private school conference) when they became freshmen for academic reasons. The team that is always nationally ranked is the girls’ field hockey team. The girls’ lacrosse team is probably not too far behind. Amazingly every year they bring in the top talent from the surrounding area (this includes 3 states) to field those teams.

When my dd played softball for their team they had maybe 4-5 TB players at most. It all depends on which team gets recruiting priority and is able to get the most money at the private schools.

The school district conference in which we live has 4A to 6A teams in it. The 2 poorest districts perform the worst at softball, yet do well in other sports. If I think about it, it probably is the 2 wealthier districts that have the best SB teams in the conference. However in my area, you will see a lot of former decent SB players make the switch to lacrosse in HS. The local Catholic school isn’t very competitive in that conference.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I went back to the bracket from last year. They obviously won state but it wasn’t a cake walk. Also they were the only private school in the sweet sixteen.

I'd have to look to see how many 4A private schools there are, but I think that number is pretty small. There was only one other private school in their sectional.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
So none of their kids play TB and they still do well? Impressive.

Also yes, feeding your family is a priority over spending money on lessons, TB, etc.

Finally the school being poor and players who play for the school being poor are two different things (but often, unfortunately, correlated). You don't need fancy uniforms to win..what you need are players who have been able
get good training prior to HS which in the US of 2022 typically means 💲💲💲 mainly because you hardly see
any kids do stuff like this anymore:

and instead need $50 bucks and an open timeslot to get better.

There's a reason so many basketball players come from the inner cities. All you need is a ball, sneakers, and a local playground hoop.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
That and there is more outside funding for AAU teams..
AAU is a mess. I have a few friends whose sons and daughters played basketball with AAU for years. They said everyone fudged birth years to give the kids extra time to grow before being recruited. They said the boys had facial hair and were driving at the 14U level.

Oct 14, 2019
Actually, they’re pretty good in softball now. I forgot about the 8th grader throwing 67.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes