help with stride foot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2009
have a girl that her stride foot lands more at a 90 than a 45. i have noticed that after the stride leg plants she will then turn her foot to a 45. she is a leaper also. instead of keeping her toe or foot dragging, she tends to flex her foot up just after push off. should we address the dragging of the back foot ( i feel she doesnt have enough wt shifted back)
then go to the stride foot. or adress the stride foot then the back foot. yes leaping is illegal.

Jul 26, 2010
Have any video? The two things you mention may be symptoms of another issue (the leaping most likely is).

How is her weight distribution? Is her nose behind her belly button or is she leaning forward? If her foot is 90 degrees, does it roll over at all or is it solid?

If she's turning her leg after it plants then it sounds like she's closing her hips before she pitches (otherwise you wouldn't care).

Basically it sounds like there's a whole mess going on here, a video would help.

-W

May 17, 2009
i will try to get video. she has a solid foot does not roll. she actually gets open very well. i wonder if it is due to the air she gets. her wt is more center, straight up. she does not bend at the waist but i think her nose behind the belly button could be much better. i feel she needs more wt back. she has gotten better with finishing with back leg coming forward to stride leg and also like she is hitting a wall in front of her. her leg does not turn i notice that her heel is planted but she will pick her toe up and move it to the 45.
? suggestion on getting more wt back. i feel if she had more wt back she may not have the leap. thanks

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Is she going straight up and over her toe or is she pre-turning her drive foot. Sounds to me like all the other problems are happening downstream from that initial push. My daughter suffered many of the same symptoms. Pretty easy fix if that is the case.

May 17, 2009
she does not pre turn. she pushes with a straight foot. as soon as the toe finishes the push, she pulls her toe straight up. then she puts the foot back down in the hole in front of the rubber or approx 6 in from the rubber.

May 7, 2008
Something does not make sense. stride foot lands at 90 and the rotates to 45??? How can you possibly do this during a pitch with full pressure on the stride foot? If it rotates after everything is all done and the ball is over the plate, the post pitch rotation not an issue just the landing at 90 in the first place is a problem. Now landing at at 90 will generally result in knee pain and my experience is that pitchers that land at 90 have poor control. It seems when the foot is at 90 the hips are usually messed up and control is messed up.

Also its almost impossible to land "toe first, then heel" with your foot at 90 degrees unless you got some major strong ankles. Toe then heel get the strong front leg position to 'throw' against... ie throw hard and fast. The strong front leg is another way of saying nose behind belly button.

now the leaping rear foot is not a mechanical problem just plain old illegal. So fix the 90 is a #1 and the back foot fix it sooner than later.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles