Help, Im not sure if I want to play softball anymore?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
I would hazard a guess that less than 5% of the kids playing softball at the HS and TB level will receive scholarship money to play softball. Even then it will not be full scholarships.

I've said many times that if the only reason you are playing softball is for a college scholarship, you'd be far better off to work at Wendy's and save up for college. Then play for your college club team.

Jun 16, 2011
Polson, MT
I agree that taking some time off would be best, however, it sounds like the coaches in your life have found a way to suck the fun out of softball. I have seen this happen over and over again and sad to see that you have come to this point because of adults who put their personal agendas over the very kids they are there to help.

So with that said......take a break......be a kid.......enjoy life.......and in the end I can almost guarantee that your love for the game will return and with that so will your passion. Focus on your goals in life and let those goals transfer over to the softball field. Life is a struggle and dealing with those struggles will continue to make you a better young lady on and off the field. Don't quit on yourself, find your passion and if its not softball make it something that others can't take away from you.

Good luck!! Stay strong!!

Oct 19, 2009
When kids get to high school, they get driver’s license, have parties to go to and boyfriends. Your headed to a ball game and your best friend(s) are headed to a party or a movie. Softball has to be fun and it is not for everyone, it does not make you any better or worse a person for playing or not playing.

It has to be your decision and one you are comfortable with, a good thing your parents sound like they will support you no matter what you decide.

College softball is not always what many people think it is, there are very few full ride scholarships, some kids have partial scholarships and some play just for the fun of it with no scholarship money to help them with academics. Most college players start with 5 AM weights, class and the three hour practice after class and what of the day is left is for studying. I don’t see much of a life outside of SB. Then there is the long bus rides, getting back to school at 3 or 4 AM and then study for test, or class. I had one basketball kid, pre-med advise that she was averaging 2 hour sleep a night and she loves BB and just had to quit her junior year to see her dream in the medical field.

When I played football in college in Virginia we lost a tough game and we got home at about 3 AM the coach who was mad at us pulled up to the front gate at campus, put us off the bus with our equipment and we had to walk the last five miles to the field house. It was in the 30's and a very cold rain.

I like the suggestion of taking time off, that should let you know if you miss it or not.

Good luck!!!!!!! :)

I'm adding this I miss the time swith my daughter, fishing and father and daughter things.

She is in HS has summer practice, and ball games with HS, summer team practice 2 times a week, tournments that start on Thursday and last all weekend, does not leave much father daughter time.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
I hope you do whats right for you,I said in a earlier post about ump. a younger grouph of girls.I say that because as a father and a coach,I forgot what this game is about.What reminded me of what the game of softball is susspose to be.My dd and I where practicing at the indoor facility where she traines earlier this year and a little team of u-8's where there and having a blast.I had this memory of my dd at this age and how it was not work but fun.We both went and sat down and just watched them practice.I can honestly say that was the best moment that my dd and I have had in 3 years in softball and we where just watching.This whole year so far has been so enjoyable for us,both in rec and TB.DD has not played this well ever,we just had to be reminded that softball is a game.Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321