Help, Im not sure if I want to play softball anymore?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2011
So Im new to this and not sure how it works.

Anyway, Im going to be a jounior this up comming school year. I've only been playing softball for 5 years. I play travel ball and highschool ball, I play the outfeild. I've started on my varsity team for the past 2 years. I've also played volleyball and basketball. I gave up volleyball and basketball, because i wanted to focus on playing softball. I wanted to get a softball scholarship. The past school ball season, sucked and I have never wanted to stop playing softball and much as I did then. I felt very unappreciated by my coach, she had favorites and I deffinantly was not one of them. So I thought as travel ball would come I would have more fun and I would find the love for the game agian. Yet the feeling isnt there anymore, like Im just not excited to play or be there anymore. I loved basketball and playing it, but when I stopped playing it was not only because of softball, but because I didnt have the desire to go to practice and work at it to be a batter player and play. Thats starting to be how I feel about softball. My life has become all about softball and Im not sure if thats how I want it to be like. We play all year in Alabama so softball is non stop down here. My parents told me that if i didnt want to play to let them know, because its a lot of money that they spend for me to play softball and if the feeling isnt there anymore to quit, but Im not sure what to do and I need help. I wanted to play college softball, but I dont want my whole college years to only be softball. I would like to have a normal college life and not have it consumed by softball. My parents also told me that if I didnt get a scholarship that they didnt have the money to pay for college. So that gives me some to think about. I would really appreciate some help.
thank you.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
You have many options. First consideration is your academics. Are your grades good enough? What do you want to learn in college? What do you want to do in life?

Softball comes after that. If you don't enjoy softball to the point that you are willing to put in whatever amount of time and effort it takes to be the best you can be then you will not enjoy higher level college softball.

If you enjoy recreational softball there are plenty of opportunities to play in college, also. There is no scholarship money at all. Matter of fact, you will probably have to pay club dues to play. But it is fun, it is competitive, and the club teams are usually involved in many volunteer efforts that benefit the community. Also very rewarding!

As far as not being able to pay for college, that is not a problem if you qualify for college. There are community colleges that are a small fraction of the cost of universities. And the first two years are the same as the universities as far as basic learning. And many of the community colleges have softball. Some about the same as HS, some much more competitive.

Many D3 colleges offer academic scholarships that, in effect, cover athletics.

You have many, many opportunities. Don't take no for an answer. It's not difficult, it's just a matter of researching what available and deciding what you want to be 5-6 years from now.

Mar 13, 2010
First off *hugs* I know how it feels to have all the fun sucked out of softball.

I'm not American, so other posters might be better able to answer this scenario, but is it worth having a season off? Just be a teenager, do whatever and have fun? I know for me, when it stopped being fun I stopped completly for a year. By the end of that year I was dying to get back on the field. So maybe six months or so might be worth it. I'm not sure how that would affect college though.

In regards to college and scholarships, what are you like as a student? Are scholastic scholarships not worth looking into? Could you ask your parents to put the money they pay for softball into a college fund for you? It might not be a lot, but it will still put some money towards college that you wouldn't have otherwise. If you do give up completely you could look into a job and save for college now.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Jan 25, 2011
I think you should take some time off,may be umpire a u-8 or u-10 rec league,it may help you to remeber what fun it use to be to play softball.

May 25, 2010
Agreed with Lozza and Nanotech. Take a mental health break. When you start to miss playing, that's when you'll know it's time to go back.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I think you should take some time off,may be umpire a u-8 or u-10 rec league,it may help you to remeber what fun it use to be to play softball.

Wholeheartedly agree - God knows we could use umpires that have actually played the game in recent memory...plus it would help your own rules awareness and could lead to another softball life adventure - like umpiring at the WCWS, World Cup, etc.

Jun 13, 2011
Yes, take a moment to really decide what you want to do - without any outside influences. You cannot do something day in and day out unless you enjoy it. Similiar to your predicament I worked at what was my dream job...for five years. And then things began to fall apart. My boss left, I was jerked around by the company, I lost the LOVE i had for my job. I made really great money, but one day it occured to me that no amount of money can make me truly happy...so I quit. I had no back up plan. I had not thought other than quitting. It all worked out for the best - I found another job within two weeks and I"m still here and more importantly enjoying my job 10 years later.

Things may change your Junior year, the coach may be gone, or may now see you for the player you really are. And perhaps the coach needs to be reminded of the player you are.

And don't be discouraged about "not having any money for college" there are other scholarships and grants. And as mentioned get an academic scholarship - or a school that needs a great player may give you an academic scholarship if your grades are there.

Lots of luck to you...but just remember to ENJOY whatever decision you do make.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ljean...

You need to find the things that you are passionate about, and pursue those things. There is something out there that you love to do...find what that is, and then put everything you are into it.

As for sports...all athletes quit. It is only a question of when. (from "Hub Fans bid the Kid Adieu" by John Updike).

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
With the pressure of "no scholarship, no college" how could it be fun? You have to be beating yourself up every play. What you do today DOES NOT decide the rest of your life!

If you want to go to college, there are people to help!

Take some time off softball, if you miss it, go back, if you don't miss it, so what.
We can only play outdoor softball half the year up here in the north. A few of the girls get college scholarships for SB, most don't.
It is a game! I was just watching a game yesterday with 25-40 year old women, they were having a blast, but I bet not many played college sb. It is a game, if it isn't enjoyable, don't play it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321