HELP!!!! 10U Infield positioning and Batting Lineup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have a good little catcher. She needs some work, but is taking lessons. So, I have that covered. I have a good pitcher. I am working with my daughter to be backup pitcher, but she isn't doing so hot. I just want to be able to give my main pitcher a break for at least an inning or couple of batters.

I may be a little biased on the situation, but a good catcher will make VERY big difference. Especially at the 10U level with D3K and open home plate, a great catcher can dominate a game.

Also, I encourage you to educate yourself on the fine points of playing the catcher position.

Last edited:
My point is, at this age, I wouldn't limit players based on handedness. If your strongest, most accurate arm is a lefty, I give her a shot at the left side of the IF.
Not a bad idea to give her some time in the OF, as well.

As a 12U/14U coach who takes a new first-year 12U team every four years, it is extremely rare when I find girls who have any OF experience to speak of. This even holds true for speedy, rangy girls with big arms who see the ball off the bat well and get a great jump on fly balls. It is funny when I get some girls coming up from 10U and I tell them they'd make great outfielders and they think I don't like them because I am sticking them in the outfield. ;-)

Make outfield skills as much a priority as infield, pitching and catching. It is what is best for the girls as some may find that they are perfectly suited to play there.

Jan 17, 2014
Middle America
if you want to win games at 10u you need ( in order of importance) a pitcher, a catcher, a kid who can move and catch at first, stud at 3rd, #2 stud at 2nd, someone who can catch fly balls at SS . pray no one hits it to the outfield. I always cheated 3rd off line a few feet and let her get everything she can get to. Most balls hit to short will be pop fly's. ground balls are hit right side of pitcher if pitcher is fast. left side if pitcher is slow. I always had 2nd charge bunts. They can never seem to recognize the bunt early enough to field it the proper way. This worked best for most rec ball teams I've coached. Batting order is anyone's guess. Whatever you do.... do not encourage walks. The minute you see a real pitcher you are doomed. I had a motto "we never walk". I don't care if they jump up in the air and swing- at least they are being aggressive. just my two cents.

Feb 23, 2015
Texas
My pitcher is the closest I have to a "stud." lol I have a very athletic, 1st year girl I can teach to play 2nd. 1B and SS can talk her through a lot of it. 3B is the other position kicking my butt! I have my daughter there right now, only because she knows what to do. However, she is NOT a true 3rd baseman. lol

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
^^^ nah- you need a pitcher that can stay in it around the zone at about 42-45 mph. A catcher that can hold runners on base by keeping balls in front of her and getting an occasional runner out. A SS that can handle the throw down and field a grounder, and a first base that can catch a ball. Then you need to be able to hit decently and take advantage of passed balls and all the weak catching out there.

Pitcher
Catcher
SS
1st base
2nd base
OF that can stop a grounder from being a HR
3rd base

You could put a turnip on 3rd base and win a lot of games if your pitcher has any speed 2nd sees far more action than 3rd at 10u with a good pitcher.

If your pitching is slower then 3rd becomes very important.

Think of it this way. Weak fielder=runner on base but weak catcher means every runner scores and pitcher has to work 2x harder.

In band terms

Pitcher= lead singer
SS= lead guitar
Catcher=bassist and drummer
1st base=rhythm guitar
3rd base=sax
2nd base=keyboards
OF= roadies

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Our local rec league allows 4 OF even for 12U! Last fall, they had 39 girls sign up for fall rec league, so DD #3 played on a team with 9 players, so only 3 OF. The last game of the season they played with 2 OF. Hey, the great 1938 St. Louis Wolves only had 2 OF (Why? Because!)

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
^^^ nah- you need a pitcher that can stay in it around the zone at about 42-45 mph. A catcher that can hold runners on base by keeping balls in front of her and getting an occasional runner out. A SS that can handle the throw down and field a grounder, and a first base that can catch a ball. Then you need to be able to hit decently and take advantage of passed balls and all the weak catching out there.

Pitcher
Catcher
SS
1st base
2nd base
OF that can stop a grounder from being a HR
3rd base

You could put a turnip on 3rd base and win a lot of games if your pitcher has any speed 2nd sees far more action than 3rd at 10u with a good pitcher.

If your pitching is slower then 3rd becomes very important.

Think of it this way. Weak fielder=runner on base but weak catcher means every runner scores and pitcher has to work 2x harder.

In band terms

Pitcher= lead singer
SS= lead guitar
Catcher=bassist and drummer
1st base=rhythm guitar
3rd base=sax
2nd base=keyboards
OF= roadies

WOW! The poor catcher has to play drums AND bass?

Hard to pull that off. However, there is a musician who played the drums AND bass, and back-up vocals on a #1 hit song, and later played drums, bass, guitar, keyboard, etc. and lead and backup vocals on a #1 hit album about a year later. (HINT: the guy is a left-handed billionaire)

The #1 hit song was "The Ballad of John and Yoko". The #1 hit album was "McCartney". The musician is Sir James P. McCartney, Jr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom