Head first slide. Like or dislike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2019
I never teach head first slide. Dangers do not out weigh the benefits, and the field conditions that most of us play on make it even riskier. Although I can’t speak to the specifics, but it was once explained to me that it’s more risky based on gender related anatomy. Guys strength is in their arms and shoulders (girls are sting in the hips). The weaker shoulder area is an issue

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019
I never teach head first slide. Dangers do not out weigh the benefits, and the field conditions that most of us play on make it even riskier. Although I can’t speak to the specifics, but it was once explained to me that it’s more risky based on gender related anatomy. Guys strength is in their arms and shoulders (girls are sting in the hips). The weaker shoulder area is an issue
Hi Mike, I hear ya. I teach it to slide on thighs and belly. Arms and thus shoulder involvement is negated. I’m sure there are 1000 viewpoints on this. In my 20+ years of coaching this I have zero injury. But a finger, shoulder, head etc.... we teach it in gym floor with coverage on the arms to prevent any injury.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl