HBP?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
I have always assumed that MLB players try to get out of the way because getting hit by a 90+ mph fastball is no joke. At some point, does similar thinking come into play in softball. I wouldn't want to wear a fastball from Paige Lowary or Montana Fouts.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I guess you are saying that your player says it hit her bat since she wants to hit? What age group is this?.....I only ask because as an umpire if I'm not sure if a batter was HBP, I'll ask her, and they always seem to be honest, especially the younger ones.

DD (13yo) HATES getting hit. Not so much because it hurts (she loves showing off HBP bruises)….but it takes away her chance to hit the ball. She’s a confident hitter and is yes, yes, no at the plate. This results in not being able to get away from pitches too far inside at times.

She wears an elbow guard because of that. Gives her more confidence to stay in……not because she’s looking for the HBP.

Jun 3, 2021
I guess you are saying that your player says it hit her bat since she wants to hit? What age group is this?.....I only ask because as an umpire if I'm not sure if a batter was HBP, I'll ask her, and they always seem to be honest, especially the younger ones.

Yes. That’s what I’m saying. Player wanted to hit. Loved that.

Young 12u team. A scared player would’ve wanted the easy way out and said the ball hit them. A player that wants to compete would want to stay in and hit

Jun 3, 2021
I have always assumed that MLB players try to get out of the way because getting hit by a 90+ mph fastball is no joke. At some point, does similar thinking come into play in softball. I wouldn't want to wear a fastball from Paige Lowary or Montana Fouts.

Depends on the player. It doesn’t hurt as bad when you get on base and help your team win.

I faced mid to high 90s and wanted to get hit in a close game even though it was Sunday league. Dumb or smart. Gamer or retard. That’s up for debate.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Yes. That’s what I’m saying. Player wanted to hit. Loved that.

Young 12u team. A scared player would’ve wanted the easy way out and said the ball hit them. A player that wants to compete would want to stay in and hit

A player that has been properly taught the value of getting on base is going to want to get on base. It has nothing to do with being scared and everything to do with being a smarter offensive player.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
As I have said in some other posts - the NCAA rules committee seems to like the way the HBP rule is now because it removes the grey area - it is black and white - they either were hit in the box or not. You are getting more consistency on making the call from every umpire.

The thought is simple - as an umpire, I no longer have to read a players mind, or make a decision on whether they tried to avoid the pitch or not Also, it means there is only one interpretation/judgment standard - what the @The Man In Blue stated as his view of avoiding a pitch does not 100% match what I may consider, which doesn't match another umpire and so on... so the same play could be called differently depending on who is behind the plate that game.

Is the rule perfect; absolutely not; and for many of the reasons stated in this thread. I think there needs to be more thought into the rule. But I also don't want to go back to judging what is or isn't an effort to avoid being hit and all the bad acting that came along with that.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I've thought that a batter getting hit in the armor should not be awarded the free base. That should be reserved for the brave Bare Elbow Brigade.;) I don't necessarily want to see wincing in pain, but I also don't like the smirks that come with a guard hit.

Apr 20, 2015
I agree that the rule is fine, but I do think umpires need to pay more attention to body parts that get hit outside the batters box. The dead ball ball....if the batters stance puts their elbows outside the box in the river they shouldn't get a base for that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying