HBP in Elbow Guard

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2019
My son was hit by pitch on his elbow guard this weekend and told her couldn't take first since it hit the guard. I would think if worn correctly it would be no different than being hit on the helmet. Is there a rule in baseball or softball that if hit on an elbow guard it is not a dead ball?

Jun 22, 2008
There is no specific rule regarding elbow guards in any ruleset I am aware of. Depending on ruleset if the batter made no attempt to get out of way of pitch, purposely stuck their elbow out, was hit by a pitch not entirely in the batters box and made no attempt to move or prevented the ball from entering the strike zone the batter would not be awarded first base.

Jun 14, 2019
There is no specific rule regarding elbow guards in any ruleset I am aware of. Depending on ruleset if the batter made no attempt to get out of way of pitch, purposely stuck their elbow out, was hit by a pitch not entirely in the batters box and made no attempt to move or prevented the ball from entering the strike zone the batter would not be awarded first base.
Definitely attempted to get out. He is a magnet for hit by pitch and stands further out than he should. The ump said since he was wearing the guard it didn't actually hit him???? We got him the guard because he was hit 9 times in 6 games. He is big for his age and I think it makes the pitchers nervous that he is going to plow it. (11u)

Nov 9, 2021
Definitely attempted to get out. He is a magnet for hit by pitch and stands further out than he should. The ump said since he was wearing the guard it didn't actually hit him???? We got him the guard because he was hit 9 times in 6 games. He is big for his age and I think it makes the pitchers nervous that he is going to plow it. (11u)

The ump is just wrong. If it hits his shirt it technically didn’t hit him either. Just need to address the issue with whoever is in charge of umpires in that league to get it fixed going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805