Having Trouble Choosing a bat size for an 8 year old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2012
I have a 8 year old daughter who is playing on two different rec softball leagues this summer. I have been looking for a new bat for her, but I am having some issues figuring out what size bat would be appropriate. She weighs around 90 pounds and is 4'4-4'5 in height. The problem is that most sizing charts say she should have a 30 inch bat, but when I look at most forums people are saying that even a 29 inch bat is on the long side for an 8 year old. She is not particularly strong, and slightly over-weight, which I think may be skewing the chart a bit. Right now she has a old cheap 29 inch 19 oz bat which I think may be to heavy for her, so I was looking at either a 30-29 inch bat with a drop 12 or 13 for her, but I would like to get her one that would last her at least a year. Would 30 inches be too long? Should I go with 29 inches to be safe?

Thanks!

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Tough one. Can she swing a few different team bats and find out what she likes?

My DD 7 yo is kind of the opposite, tall & thin 4'6" 54 lb - The 30" 17.5 ov she had from big sis was a bit unweildy for her due to the lenght so we switched to a 28" 17 oz and her swing is much better.

I'd think at 90 lb your DD wouldn't have too much trouble w/ 19 oz but it is a lot about feel.

Mar 29, 2012
My daughter is taller than yours (older) and around the same weight and she is swinging a 29" 17.5 synge that she is comfortable with. I got a 30" 18 oz TPS Mendoza that she tried but it just didn't feel right to her.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Is this coach pitch? That would make me a little less concerned about using a big bat.

My 8YO is about 4'4" 60 lbs and uses a 29"/17oz with no problem. The 30" bat is going to feel heavier regardless of the wieght.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I coach a team of kids 4'2" up to 4'9" with the exception of 2 players, we all swing 29 inch bats from 17-18 oz. Only one child with a 31" and she is very tall and strong but still only 19 oz weight. Another with a 30" and a choke up (but it is a lithium Drop 13 so only weighs 17 oz).

At your DD's size and build I recommend a 29" that weighs no more than 18 oz. At this age it is about fundamentals so anything that can carry them downward or off plane or out of control in their swing, even in the slightest bit, is bad. I really like the Louisville Slugger Catalyst or Jessica Mendoza. They are both Drop 12 so 29" 17 oz is awesome. And the bat comes hot right out of the wrapper. Awesome investment. They feel solid but are light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321