Have you seen Bustos new site?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Pro Softball Training

This looks good. It looks like she has brought together the best of the best in women's softball and tapped into their expertise.

I have yet to experience cyber lessons or tried them, although I have see Hitter mention them. I wonder if this is the wave of the future for coaching?

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Interesting website. No offense to Bustos, but let's hope this is not the way lessons are taught in the future. I see too many limitations with this approach:

1) no immediate feedback
2) no "hands on" instruction
3) no immediate Q&A
4) the instructor does not get to know the player
5) how do you really know who is giving the "lesson"?
6) too expensive for what you get.

What I think is valuable about private instruction is the one on one, hands on analysis. We are fortunate in our area to have access to private hitting instruction that is relatively affordable $40/hr and taught by former D1 players. I can ask questions on the fly and get them answered immediately. Coaching is all about the immediate and contunous feedback and correction of flaws.

I think if someone wanted to go the cyber route with instruction, discuss fastpitch.com is just as good if not better since a) its free and 2) you get multiple opinions and expertise.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have read the site, now, and I need to state that it is not a Bustos site. Sorry.

I have written the owner to ask some questions, since it peaked my interest so much. But, I believe that you are on line with the girl and you can both see each other.

What will another 10 years bring? (as far as the Internet is concerned.)

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
But, I believe that you are on line with the girl and you can both see each other.

According to the website:

" • Within 72 hours, one of our professional instructors will review your video and provide
feedback. An email will be sent to notify you that your video has been analyzed."

I don't think the analysis is in real-time and you are not videostreaming with the instructor and player. I think technology is great but it does has some serious limitations when evaluating and anaylzing the complexities of hitting (and pitching for that matter). There just is no substitute for live instruction IMO.

Jul 26, 2010
I think the idea of having video reviewed and suggestions made by professional players/coaches has merit. The prices seem very reasonable. Many people don't have access to top of the line coaches, and may question what they (or their daughter) are being taught. I see this as a way to get another set of eyeballs.

Then again, that is EXACTLY what many people come to this very forum seeking, and getting, for free. The difference is that here one may get a plethora of varied opinions (some good and some not so good, but then they're opinions) whereas from the site posted they will get only one.

It will be interesting to compare the advice and suggestions gleaned through the site posted with the ones others here may give, I'm sure that will make for some interesting and lively threads.

-W

Sep 3, 2009
In looking it over, if you're really getting your lessons from the athletes mentioned, then i'd think it's a pretty good bargain. The big package was about $100 for 5 video uploads? So basically being analyzed 5 times. That comes out to about $20 each. Less than I pay for my dd's slapping lessons, or catching lessons, etc.
I would think this would be better suited for intermediate to more advanced athletes, who are able and willing to work on their own to improve; not to lay out basics.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Just a comment that the advice and multiple suggestions offered on this Discussfastpitch forum aren't free. As most everyone posting notes, they are 2 cents each.

Sep 5, 2010
Chicagoland area
Depending on exactly what your are getting, this does seem like a very good price. I'm very curious as to what you get per session. I do this both for the college I coach at and commercially. Even factoring out the time spent filming and editing raw video, it still takes me 1-2 hours of watching video and putting together clips, graphics and commentary. For the price they are offering, I would be surprised if you are getting a lot of depth in the analysis.

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
Just a comment that the advice and multiple suggestions offered on this Discussfastpitch forum aren't free. As most everyone posting notes, they are 2 cents each.

Have you ever thought about why its a "penny for your thoughts" but everyone puts their "2 cents in"...??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish