Growth spurts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
Anyone have experience with growth spurts and the effect it has on fielding? Do the height changes affect proper positioning for fielding?

Apr 26, 2015
I think where I've seen the most struggle is hitting. DD still fields great but hitting - oh my goodness. WHEN she gets ahold of the ball it goes! But getting ahold of it is another story! I would be worried but it seems like everyone else on DD's team has had the same problem. DD is just the smallest and slowest growing of the bunch.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It is when they start getting hips you need to worry about pitching. They can get away with some things before they have hips.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It is when they start getting hips you need to worry about pitching. They can get away with some things before they have hips.

It depends on how tall the girl becomes. The picture of the young Sarah Pauley is pretty typical with tall girls. They go through a phase where they can't even walk across the room without falling down.

Nov 29, 2009

That's why you teach them the proper mechanics before they get their hips. Nothing to relearn.

Feb 7, 2013
I think you guys have it wrong. How many times have you heard Java say "you want to get the hip into a position to receive the arm"?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Eye/hand coordination can diminish during rapid growth spurts. Just be patient and things should get better. Madison Shipman was a 6'+ SS so do not let size determine which position your DD plays....

Feb 7, 2013
I worry how growth spurts might affect pitching mechanics.

For most kids, very little negative effects to mechanics. You will see an increase in strength and power that translates into more velocity. However, I have seen a lot of growth plate injuries with kids 11-13 years old for all positions so be mindful of any complaints of pain.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13