Ground balls and percentages

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 30, 2013
When people talk about ground balls and percentages, are they more often talking about GB/FB OUT percentages, or GB/FB BIP percentages?

Sep 30, 2013
I've seen it reported as # of outs normalized per 100 PAs

I’ve never seen it that way. Do you remember where you saw it that way? I like to see metrics to get the context they’re presented in. I understand why it would be presented that way, but I don’t present many metrics by themselves. IOW, I don’t see a list of player names and their GB outs per 100 PA as meaning a whole lot. I’d want to see a few other things in order to better judge what it meant.

Jul 26, 2010
I usually see it as pitcher statistics of where the ball was actually hit. If it was an out, an error, or a hit does not matter.

-W

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I usually see it as pitcher statistics of where the ball was actually hit. If it was an out, an error, or a hit does not matter.

-W

This is what I use it for, but I don't spend a lot of time on it. There are other stats I look at much closer. To answer scorekeeper's question, I look at it as BIP.

Sep 30, 2013

When you can, look at it for hitters too. Over the years I’ve found that many pitcher stats can be looked at from a hitter’s perspective and many hitter stats can be looked at from a pitcher’s perspective too. When doing that, the results are often quite illuminating.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I’ve never seen it that way. Do you remember where you saw it that way? I like to see metrics to get the context they’re presented in. I understand why it would be presented that way, but I don’t present many metrics by themselves. IOW, I don’t see a list of player names and their GB outs per 100 PA as meaning a whole lot. I’d want to see a few other things in order to better judge what it meant.

Under "Per-Game Stats" reported by conference 2013 Liberty League Softball - Individual Statistics

Sep 30, 2013
Under "Per-Game Stats" reported by conference 2013 Liberty League Softball - Individual Statistics

Now that’s a unique way of presenting stats! It took me a while to figger out what was going on, but I got a handle on it. Although I see nothing at all wrong with doing it that way, I think it would be difficult for someone trying to compare players because of the sorts, but as far as I can see its fine. Having said that, I can say that that’s the only place I’ve ever seen stat’s presented that way.

I have to say though, that I don’t see anything in those “per game” numbers that are “reported as # of outs normalized per 100 PAs”. Can you help me find that? It looks to me like the per game numbers are just the number of something divided by the number of games that player played.

Thanx

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle