Gopro Hero 3 plus

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
Has anybody use the Gopro Hero 3 plus? Do you have any video? I am interested in getting one using it for recording games and also to use on slomo to record pitching?

Thanks!

Jan 24, 2009
Search Josh Greer's posts or go to his website in his sig line. I could upload some after work (more likely over the holiday).

The 3+ is awesome. Heads up that it does not zoom. I bring a second hi-def video cam to zoom and spot shoot while the gopro is in 'set-it-and-forget-it' recording the game.

The right accessories are key. An external battery is cheap and an absolute 'must'. You can't record complete games without it. Also, get the LCD screen and the camera shell to accomodate it. Essential IMO. The plastic click type mounting clips...they are brittle and annoyingly light duty. The male part that slides/clicks into the base breaks easily and often so buy extras or look at aftermarket options.

I would buy the camera again in a heartbeat, but the right accessories for your application are the key IMO.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Thanks for the plug Vdubya. Also, check out our equipment page for information on the cameras as well as recommended equipment. We have not yet updated our information for the Hero 4 cameras (mostly because we are still testing results and feel the Hero 3 is still the best camera for the money):
http://www.lynkspyder.com/equipment.html

Here's a video of the Hero 3 black (not plus) from a couple years ago. As vDub mentioned above, your view is fixed. You have 3 field of view options: Wide, Medium, and Narrow. In the video below, we used Medium:
[video=youtube_share;PBFwMym5jh4]http://youtu.be/PBFwMym5jh4[/video]

Lastly, here's a graphic we are working up on the features of the various cameras for an update to our equipment page This is still beta and have not released it for publication yet because our fact finding process isn't complete. We feel comfortable with the data at this point, but if you find mistakes please make us aware:
GoPro.JPG
At this point, the best bang for the buck (for baseball and softball) seems to be the Hero 4 Silver. This is due to the included LCD screen and matching quality of the Hero 3 Black. However, for charging benefits and stability, I still plan on using my Hero 3's in the 2015 season. This is because of the decision by GoPro to use a bottom slot mount for their battery. This rules out the ability to use the Battery Eliminator by Switchronix; the battery eliminator allows the GoPro to run for days with little heat generated because their is no battery in the camera. You can get by without it for the Hero 4's and still use external power sources. However, you will be required to plug into the GoPro USB port and therefore will be charging the internal battery constantly. This is usable, but does generate excess heat. This in turn can cause camera shutdowns in certain situations.

Hope this helps. If not, feel free to email me at: josh@LynkSpyder.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom