Glove selection - Not using fastpitch style?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
+1. "Fastpitch" gloves are build for a "female" hand. For a girl with bigger hands, go to a baseball glove. I'd guess that very few male coaches use a "fastpitch" glove.

For hands that are too large for a "fastpitch" glove, I'd actually recommend a "slowpitch" model. You get the larger finger stalls, and a softball-size pocket.

My glove is a 13" Mizuno MVP-series "slowpitch" glove that fits my man-paw very well.

EDIT: I stand corrected on the "softball-size pocket" myth.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
After a couple conversations with Casedawg, I purchased a baseball glove (Vinci BV1929-L) for my 12yo DD. She has average size hands and has no trouble with the glove fitting or slipping off. We had a conversation about girls who pull gloves down to their wrists and then cinch the strap as tight as it will go. This limits mobility of the hand and glove. This glove has the form fitting finger stalls and DD says it really "sticks" to her hand.

As stated earlier, the pocket of a glove has nothing to do with a particular design and everything to do with how it's formed. (Unless it's a MonstaWeb! LOL)

I would not rule out a quality glove just because it is not labeled as a fastpitch model.

Aug 8, 2010
As Jdaddy said, forming of the pocket is key. A lot of people form the pocket too high up in the web and that leads to a V shape, with the heel area too narrow and the toe area too wide. You want the glove to be shaped more like a U, with the pocket at the base of the web. Vinci gloves have a naturally deep pocket, even the "baseball" models. Because of this they play a little shorter than listed but deep. Girls think they want velcro forever because that is what they grow up using. If the glove is designed to fit snug without velcro then you have removed an inherent weakness. Even high quality velcro is still velcro and will probably be the first thing to fail on the glove when subjected to TB type of abuse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44