Glove lacing needle, which style?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
I need to re lace a wrist strap on a new glove because it is too tight. Looking at needles there appear to be two styles, one that is a hoolw tube with threads that you attach the lace to and push through, the other that has an eye that it looks like you could push or pull. Any idea on which type would work better for someone that has never used one and probably will mot for a long time after?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I have and have used both styles many times having to do emergency glove relacing between games. Either one would work but I prefer the one with the eye on the end also.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
If you’re just doing the wrist button lap, get a large paper clip, straighten it out and then fold it in half.

Now on the piece of lace, take a razor and taper the one end of lace to a point that’ll be the lead end going through the holes.

Now on the tapered / pointed end of lace poke a tiny hole in the middle of the point and stick the paper clip through the lace down to where the clip is folded, close the paper clip up to where both ends are even…..instant needle!

Nov 18, 2015
Since getting a perma-lock needle (hollow needle that's threaded - you can "screw" the lacing onto it), I haven't used the red-handled "eye" threader that comes with all the relacing kits you'll see for sale.

That being said - I still keep one of those both in my bucket and in my daughters bat bag.

For a wrist strap - needle nose pliers should also work.

Any idea on which type would work better for someone that has never used one and probably will not for a long time after?
I'm going to politely suggest you re-evaluate that last part. You're almost to 200 posts here on DFP. Just admit it - your hooked for the next few years, at least. Enjoy the ride and expect at least one or two emergency (or intentional) glove relacings / repair in your future. :)

Jun 26, 2019
I'm going to politely suggest you re-evaluate that last part. You're almost to 200 posts here on DFP. Just admit it - your hooked for the next few years, at least. Enjoy the ride and expect at least one or two emergency (or intentional) glove relacings / repair in your future. :)

You may very well be right. Here I am at almost 40 buying the first quality glove I have ever owned, that pretty much says it. I already (sort of) had a sad milestone yesterday playing catch in the back yard with my 10 and 12 year olds. Throws were all the sudden coming in fast and hard right to my glove to the point it was getting monotonous, so we switched to practicing tagging, catchers poping up to throw and pitching, they will be getting jobs and moving out soon 😂 and by then my glove might be starting to get broke in.

Nov 18, 2015
A happier milestone is that you can probably throw full (or almost-full) speed to them - no more lollipop throws!

Jun 26, 2019
A happier milestone is that you can probably throw full (or almost-full) speed to them - no more lollipop throws!

I have shoulder issues (not related to ball), my biggest danger throwing full speed is by far to myself, the girls are works in progress, and they are both progressing. But yes, they are not afraid my throws anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck