Get behind the ball early vs Connection

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Recently I've said that connection is a must until you get to the corner (I call the corner roughly the halfway point in the barrels arc to the ball...the point often referred to as lag). After that get behind the ball the best you can with the brain, arms, and hands in charge of the barrel.

Jul 31, 2019
I guess when I hear or speak to getting behind the ball, I think of getting your shoulder behind the barrel so that:

1. It has the same tilt as the barrel based on the pitch plane
2. Barrel and shoulders after turning the corner are parallel to each other at point of contact. At this time, the top hand has articulated away from the shoulder

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Behind the ball to me is keeping the head behind the ball and not pulling the head/front side out when launching. Which is done w posture and timing.

connection to me is getting the obliques stretched via the hips advancing w the hands back.

2 different things. Probably not helpful to this thread.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Before we go any further...
1. What is 'getting behind the ball early'? What is 'behind'?
2. What is 'connection'? Connection to what? When?
1. Getting the barrel on plane with the ball trajectory. Which can be overdone.
2. Maintaining the triangle or pentagon.Hands staying in front of torso. The upper body chasis staying fixed as long as possible. Not being arms, Sloppy or Frailing. Taking it a step further, the hands remain palm up, palm down as long as possible. Connected, no early roll over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13