Game Speed vs Practice Speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I went to see one of my pitchers in a game yesterday and she was 2-3 mph faster than what she throws in practice. When I say practice speed I'm talking about when you do locations and pitch sequences, not full bore velocity work. I'm wondering what others see.

May 6, 2015
I went to see one of my pitchers in a game yesterday and she was 2-3 mph faster than what she throws in practice. When I say practice speed I'm talking about when you do locations and pitch sequences, not full bore velocity work. I'm wondering what others see.
adrenaline, cannot replicate game scenarios

Feb 15, 2017
DD is the same way....always 2-3 mph faster in games than any other time. And that’s usually in the later innings too. Been that way since 8u. Something about the adrenaline and competitiveness that blocks out the concentration on mechanics or doing things a certain way. Based on observations I think at the younger ages most of them are slower in games but as they get older that trend reverses.

DD’s first pitching coach, for all his faults, started off her right by emphasizing drills/mechanics are for lessons and practice. When getting in the circle you just compete and the work you have done outside shows. Told her to never worry about mechanics etc because at that point if you haven’t done enough to make them muscle memory then its only going to make things worse. On the bucket I never yelled anything other than encouragement and it seemed to have worked more times than not.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas

Kind of a 3 step process.

1. Younger kids throw faster in practice than in games. Why? They aren't relaxed in games and have problems with control, so they slow down

2. As they get older and more experienced, they have more control in games, and they are accustomed to game pressure. Being in the game no longer hinders their pitching.

3. As they get even more mature, they learn that practice is about working on specific problems and challenges. So, in practice they are focused on getting better...improving their form, their control, etc. Therefore, they throw slower in practice than in games.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I noticed this too in my daughter’s first high school game. A couple miles an hour faster than usual to the naked eye. I’d like to think it was more than just an adrenaline dump, but who knows?

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Kind of a 3 step process.

1. Younger kids throw faster in practice than in games. Why? They aren't relaxed in games and have problems with control, so they slow down

2. As they get older and more experienced, they have more control in games, and they are accustomed to game pressure. Being in the game no longer hinders their pitching.

3. As they get even more mature, they learn that practice is about working on specific problems and challenges. So, in practice they are focused on getting better...improving their form, their control, etc. Therefore, they throw slower in practice than in games.

We are 100% going through 2 & 3 right now. During 10u and a lot of 12u last year she was slower in game than practice.

This year I’m convinced she throws faster in game. And I’ve told her that once she’s in game she just needs to throw. Only keeping a mindfulness on certain cues/adjustments that need to be made based on successful/unsuccessful results pitch to pitch.

I am of the fan club that practice is for mechanics focus. Game time is use what you have thus far.

Aug 21, 2008
adrenaline, cannot replicate game scenarios

AMEN AMEN AMEN. Not only can you not replicate scenarios, you can't get into game shape without playing games. Throwing 300 pitches in a practice doesn't equal a single game in real life. It just doesn't, I can't explain why. I have thrown BP for hours for months before the season, then game 1... I get that finger tingle feeling in the 4th inning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi