Follow through mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
How should young girls finish? just relax and go with it? or follow through up and over? Point elbow at catcher? IR? (not sure what this is) Does anyone have any Pictures or slo-mo video of IR? Im working with new Pitchers 8yr olds!

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Do not point elbow at the catcher. Follow through to the opposite side of the body, like a baseball pitcher does. The follow through should be comfortable enough for the arm to slow down without putting stress on it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This video shows IR better than any other video out there. Please focus on the arm, and not on the other stuff going on. At around 50 seconds, you can see a really good shot of her IR on a pitch.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Amtj3q6dt-0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Amtj3q6dt-0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sep 3, 2009
Sluggers....Isn't she throwing mostly from a closed position? Thought that was a no-no?

My daughter has been to a few different clinics that all had different things to say about follow through. The coach at one said to bring the palm up in front of the face (hand says hi they call it), another says point elbow at catcher and the third said just follow through whatever way it feels natural to you, as long as you don't stop the arm you're fine.

It becomes quite frustrating spending money and time on clinics and lessons only to hear different opnions at each one and then to read even more different opinions in my own research on the net. I knew absolutely zero about FP just 6 months ago but I've learned a bit working with my daughter. The Internal Rotation thread has me confused all over again and I'm wondering if we wouldn't have been much better off hearing that 6 months ago. Unfortunately, I've been unable to find a coach in my area that I would want my daughter to work with full time and frankly i don't think that there is anyone around here that understands the internal rotation mechanics. Everyone wants to teach getting behind the ball early.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
I actually saw a video of a Hillhouse clinic today and he makes a lot of good points to finishing over opposite shoulder. Im just starting to learn pitchn for my dds sake? Im going to order Hillhouses video soon! Thanks for all the tips! Eric

Sep 3, 2009
I actually saw a video of a Hillhouse clinic today and he makes a lot of good points to finishing over opposite shoulder. Im just starting to learn pitchn for my dds sake? Im going to order Hillhouses video soon! Thanks for all the tips! Eric

Sounds like you're in the same boat I am. I just received Bill H's video myself and will be watching it sometime this week.

May 13, 2008
Sluggers....Isn't she throwing mostly from a closed position? Thought that was a no-no?

Keep in mind that this is more of a workout exercise than a pitching drill. Also note that her arm is finishing across her body after she snaps the release. The pronating forearm is what is providing whip.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
tomzpc,

Note that I said "focus on the arm and not the rest of the stuff going on." Yes, she is open. Yes, that is incorrect.

BUT: If you ignore that her body position is wrong, you can really see the IR in her follow through.

Sep 3, 2009
tomzpc,

Note that I said "focus on the arm and not the rest of the stuff going on." Yes, she is open. Yes, that is incorrect.

BUT: If you ignore that her body position is wrong, you can really see the IR in her follow through.

Yeah, I never was very good at following directions. =)

Thanks.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
My daughter has been to a few different clinics that all had different things to say about follow through. The coach at one said to bring the palm up in front of the face (hand says hi they call it), another says point elbow at catcher and the third said just follow through whatever way it feels natural to you, as long as you don't stop the arm you're fine.

It becomes quite frustrating spending money and time on clinics and lessons only to hear different opnions at each one and then to read even more different opinions in my own research on the net.

I've seen clips of Bill Hillhouse demonstrating pitching. Finishing like he does would be great.

Don't overcomplicate the Internal Rotation concept.

1.Throw the ball overhand.

2. Observe the movement of your forearm, how it rotates and finishes. If you are right handed would you pull staight down towards your right thigh?...of course not. Would you just let your arm go loose anywhere?... Of course not. You can pick up a lot of clues about Internal Rotation, throwing underhand and finishing by feeling what comes naturally with a good overhand throw.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1