First slo mo clip since shoulder injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
This is great! And thankfully I think she is aware. I asked her how she felt (I meant pain wise) but she responded that she need to work on her whip because it felt a little different.

Jul 17, 2012
Nice work with the video Willy......and I couldn't agree more on your analysis. To add to it, I would say that resisting premature torso rotation will help this young lady find the upper arm stabilization and improve the whip. Throw ACROSS her body. She has nice posture....just need to get her to feel across, instead of around.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
Also remember to video from back for a couple pitches my guess is with that motion her arm is farther away from her body than it should be, obviously take it slow but if you have to wait a little while longer before pitching with good mechanics feels OK it is better than having some kind of compensation in her mechanics because she is in pain, it will just be a bad habit she will have to get rid of later

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Nice work with the video Willy......and I couldn't agree more on your analysis. To add to it, I would say that resisting premature torso rotation will help this young lady find the upper arm stabilization and improve the whip. Throw ACROSS her body. She has nice posture....just need to get her to feel across, instead of around.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree more!

Very clear and concise! Between your description and Willy's clip, just perfect IMO...CP

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
Thanks for the input! Just so we are in the same page everyone knows that my clip and willys clip isn't of the same girl.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
There are four whips in a well-sequenced IR delivery: the first is the arm whipping around the shoulder joint...this is a big slow rotation or whip. Second is a slight whip the body's core does as it whips the shoulder from the open position to slightly open/closed. Third is the whip most talk about here, the elbow pivot-point whip which then brings us to the last and equally important...the IR "whip" of the forearm. It has the tightest radius of all the whips. The longer you can delay that one the greater load a pitcher will store. Typically a girl will start the rotation at 9:00 and finish by six. I have a few clips of Taryn Mowatt with the ball facing second base while the hand is at 5:45. Only a handful of the elites slice with their pinky, from what I can find Finch is one of them. All of my girls slice and lose out on the power of a fully loaded IR forearm. We work on it but is a very hard skill to acquire.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd certainly entertain them. They only thing I could think of is do 9 o'clock drills emphasizing pulling down as the first move. Works somewhat but as soon as we do full circles or start at 11 o'clock they're back to slicing with the pinky at 9. I want them to delay that ball turn from sky to third (RHP) at least until 8 or 7.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06