Fielding question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I would rather have an over aggressive player then one who is too passive in the field. Its a lot easier to instruct and tone down the aggressive one then it is to get the passive one to take charge. You can harness a personality, but its hard to change one. Just needs some coaching.

I would rather have an over aggressive player then one who is too passive in the field. Its a lot easier to instruct and tone down the aggressive one then it is to get the passive one to take charge. You can harness a personality, but its hard to change one. Just needs some coaching.

I completely agree but read my above post our coach doesn't say a word ......but wait till she drops one lol

Jun 24, 2013
I will tell another story:

Last year DD was pitching and a little lopper got hit between her the C. DD called the ball, at the last second C called the ball. Result was DD, she wears a face mask, was on the ground not moving with blood coming out of her nose, C looking at her concerned, ball just sitting on the ground, umpire calling timeout because knew there was a problem.

No one gave the C a hard time, that is what practice is for.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
SS should have priority over 3B, but SS has to use some discretion when calling off other fielders.

Mar 31, 2014
SS should have priority over 3B, but SS has to use some discretion when calling off other fielders.

That was my feeling on the play, plus my DD game me even more information about the play over the weekend. Not only did they communicate properly, after my DD had called for the ball and the SS called for the ball my DD emphasized NO I GOT IT and that is when the SS pulled off and the play was made. Instead of berating my DD for not backing off The coach should have praised both girls for actually effectively communicating during the play.

Apr 1, 2010

So yesterday evening, I was watching the Alabama/Arkansas game and what did I see at the top of the 6th inning? This play! The Bama third baseman shuffled over about two steps and was camped under the ball, when the SS came screaming in & over from deep in the SS hole. 3rd gave way and the shortstop caught it. She was grinning a bit sheepishly afterward--one of those "Oh man, I'd never have heard the end of it if I'd missed this catch" expressions.

Mar 31, 2014
So yesterday evening, I was watching the Alabama/Arkansas game and what did I see at the top of the 6th inning? This play! The Bama third baseman shuffled over about two steps and was camped under the ball, when the SS came screaming in & over from deep in the SS hole. 3rd gave way and the shortstop caught it. She was grinning a bit sheepishly afterward--one of those "Oh man, I'd never have heard the end of it if I'd missed this catch" expressions.

Only difference is the popup was outside the basepath

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
That was my feeling on the play, plus my DD game me even more information about the play over the weekend. Not only did they communicate properly, after my DD had called for the ball and the SS called for the ball my DD emphasized NO I GOT IT and that is when the SS pulled off and the play was made. Instead of berating my DD for not backing off The coach should have praised both girls for actually effectively communicating during the play.

We do not allow our fielders to call "NO I GOT IT"......as soon as the SS called for the ball the 3B should have given way. It is then the responsibility of the SS to catch the ball and if she misses it, it is on her.

Mar 31, 2014
We do not allow our fielders to call "NO I GOT IT"......as soon as the SS called for the ball the 3B should have given way. It is then the responsibility of the SS to catch the ball and if she misses it, it is on her.

All I have learned from talking to people is coaches have different ideas on this subject. It seems those with baseball backgrounds strictly say it is the SS's call and many with more of a softball background are mixed. I have a friend who has coached softball at both the college and HS level said the way they want it done is anything in front of the baseline is 3rd and behind the line is for the SS to call off. He also said communication and the willingness to take charge and make the play were the most important things to consider and not the position.