Fastpitch hitters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Seen my DD has hit line drive doubles over 3rd baseman with ball hitting the bat an inch above the connector. There is zero sting in that grey ghost. So not only are bats hot, the whole bat is hittable. Bats matter.
Right there with you regarding bats... composite bats are so forgiving. Hitting a ball way up the bat will still result in a hard hit ball. Hitting a baseball in the same place on a wooden bat, weak dribbler easy out. Bats and field size are a major consideration in this debate

May 12, 2016
You wanna make the field bigger @julray. The outfielders can’t cover as much ground. Then the gaps and doubles are opened up. Then what? Longer throws etc etc. it’s not like Aaron judge hits HRs a long way. It’s 314 to his sweet spot. Ball parks are much smaller now.
Like I said fields bigger or bat composition altered. Let's put Judge on the same field he played back in little league, give him a composite bat and make the baseball a little bigger LOL

May 12, 2016
@Work=wins was right with regards to field size only effecting HR numbers..larger field would likely result in higher BA or at the very least it would be a wash.
? it would result in turning more singles into doubles and triples, inside the park HR etc. But pop ups that end up as HRs would be reduced. And a fielder playing at 175 ft on a 250 ft field vs 175 ft on a 200 ft field is exactly the same thing in regards to preventing hits in front of them. The only difference is an increase in singles in the gap becoming extra base hits, and a decrease in lazy fly balls becoming HRs which equals a lower batting average.

FYI, I'm not saying increase the infield

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If folks here on dfp actually watched men's fastpitch and from that compared
Men to Men swinging in the two DIFFERENT sports...
Pitching speeds would be more relevant to eachother...
Macho Camacho man bodies would be more relevant to eachother...
And THEN
you would see in fastpitch even Men generally have shorter mechanics to the ball.
Without me describing the differences...
dfp folks would recognize there are different mechanics that are preferable to one sport vs. The other.

...instead of comparing full grown professional men to college females...

I asked in another thread about the use of composite bat difference to wood bats.
Because there was a poster who said it would make no difference.
Of course it would make a difference!
Silly to think it wouldn't.
But since it DOES make a difference...i pose-r this question...

Why would you swing a composite bat the same as a wood bat...
when a composite bat can do more?!?!

More usable contact area definitely something to consider...
🤪😘enjoy

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
If folks here on dfp actually watched men's fastpitch and from that compared
Men to Men swinging in the two DIFFERENT sports...
Pitching speeds would be more relevant to eachother...
Macho Camacho man bodies would be more relevant to eachother...
And THEN
you would see in fastpitch even Men generally have shorter mechanics to the ball.
And without me describing the differences...
dfp folks would recognize there are different mechanics that are preferable to one sport vs. The other.
Good point. Of course it could also be that many Men’s FP players didn’t make it in baseball (US and Latin American players) and there was a reason for that…🤷🏽‍♂️

Anybody have swings from who are considered the top Men’s FP players?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Good point. Of course it could also be that many Men’s FP players didn’t make it in baseball (US and Latin American players) and there was a reason for that…🤷🏽‍♂️
It's surprising how many played bb beyond college...then came to fastpitch.
And then those that never played bb at all. Because Men playing fastpitch was more common than now. Especially in the military.

From my fun experience playing with the Long Beach Nitehawks and meeting Men playing on other teams.
Nothing was compared to bb. Meaning no one brought up bb.
The speed of the game of fastpitch stands for itself in how different the sports are.

Jun 8, 2016
It's surprising how many played bb beyond college...then came to fastpitch.
They played MLB? Lots of less than great swings in MiLB that made it that far on athleticism…that is why many don’t make it to MLB…

Look you could be right..I’m just playing devil’s advocate 😉

radness

Dec 13, 2019
They played MLB? Lots of less than great swings in MiLB that made it that far on athleticism…that is why many don’t make it to MLB…

The best thing about the point you are making is comparing MLB hitters to anyone in College is a very different comparison. Even boys in college.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Lots of less than great swings in MLB that made it that far on athleticism…that is why many don’t make it to MLB…

that's an important point!

No one size fits all.
Atleast that's what stands out to me.
Even at the top of the top
Athletes do different things.

Brings me back to saying
Diversity makes for great strategies!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members