Faster: The need for speed!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Hello All,

My DD has molded herself through sheer hard work into a ballplayer in just 2.5 years. She slides like an absolute pro and she hits every game but her running looks like slow motion - resulting in outs that could have been potential runs scored.

She's a great kid that gets a little hard on herself. I'd really like to help her build her speed and I'm looking for EFFECTIVE speed-building tips, recommendations, experiences from the DiscussFastpitch board. Talk to me.:cool:

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I have DD run up a Hill around 40 yards for strength and conditioning.... then run downhill for speed and agility. About 30 degree grade...slow walk backs taking 3 min. Then sprint....again... 7 reps. Downs one day ...ups another. Do one or the other only every other day. Work up to 7 reps.... Good-Speed to You.

Apr 1, 2010
My DD's team did twice-weekly speed and agility workouts during the off-season. Lots of sprinting, quick start, quick direction change, low hurdles, speed ladder drills, etc.

My kid will never be one of the speed demons, but it's still made a noticeable difference for her--she's hitting triples! Last year a ball that bounded all the way to the fence was a double at best. IMO you are making a great decision to work on her speed!

How about trying to record her running and then look at it in slo-mo for inefficiencies? Does she get a strong aggressive start, is she pumping her arms powerfully cheek to cheek, is she up on the balls of her feet, is she leaning forward, is her head focussed straight ahead or is it bobbing about, etc? I've heard that even without a lot of muscle-building work, just removing a few bad habits and replacing them with effective running techniques can really increase a girl's running ability.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Speed and agility workouts should help. You want drills that emphasize a quick first step since the bases are only 60 ft apart, a quick first step is more important than top speed. You should also work with her to make sure she is getting a good jump on the release. The majority of girls do not take their first step off the bag until the ball is half way to home plate. The really good teams push the envelope and almost dare field umpires to call them out for leaving early.

Apr 2, 2013
Have you tried a running parachute? You can pick up inexpensive ones off ebay and they really can help with running speed.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Some speed and agility workouts are good, but definitely supplement with leg strength workouts. Think about what running is: it's pushing off the ground over and over again to propel yourself forward. Increase your capacity to push off the ground harder and you will run faster, so think about exercises that enhance that capacity: squats, lunges, step ups, etc.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
Speed and agility workouts should help. You want drills that emphasize a quick first step since the bases are only 60 ft apart, a quick first step is more important than top speed. You should also work with her to make sure she is getting a good jump on the release. The majority of girls do not take their first step off the bag until the ball is half way to home plate. The really good teams push the envelope and almost dare field umpires to call them out for leaving early.

is there anything out there that shows a quick first step? some drills or some video?

May 25, 2012
For explosiveness definitely do hill work as stated above, also use box jumps these work the legs for explosivness.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA