Extension

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2019
There is some truth to proper trajectories in BP. Not so much in games. Timing changes drastically. As it should..
To me this is pure gold and why great swing aesthetically in practice fall short of expectations in game situations. As any coach that has said, how can he/she looks so good in practice but can't hit in the game.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
I've been trying to get some cues to help my 11yo release the hands, his finish has hands tight to the body long after contact. Middle middle tee placement, looking for some ideas to help. I thought this was a fitting thread to drop in and ask..

Did he lift his rear foot intentionally or did his hip thrust pull his rear foot off of the ground? It appears he consciously lifted it. If so, that is not good.
I see why you are asking about extension. He is not extending. Tell him to extend the bat longer toward the pitcher (path of ball).

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Watch the barrel turn backwards, slugglish. Which makes it long to short, He is compensating, the path is not right.

Hard to have good swing plane with upright shoulder rotation.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The gather could get better which in turn will help the coil/separation which should help the sequencing.

1681110441458.gif

1681110494685.gif

What sticks out? I see no coil/torque. @erniekru keeping the head still/steady at gather makes a world of difference. You can get around the spine w some resistance and load the middle along w the hands and hips. I tell players to gather against the head akin to a golf backswing. Hopefully that makes sense.

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
Did he lift his rear foot intentionally or did his hip thrust pull his rear foot off of the ground? It appears he consciously lifted it. If so, that is not good.
I see why you are asking about extension. He is not extending. Tell him to extend the bat longer toward the pitcher (path of ball).
He does not intentionally lift his rear foot, just happens. I actually like that part. He's a little dude right now (4'11 ~80lbs) and trying to hit hard.

We've talked about releasing his hands away from his body after the initial rotation but he's not associating the words with the action. Attached is a video taken after, we discussed releasing the hands. Did the "throw the bat" (with a cheap wood bat) to emphasize the movements.

I can see him trying, but he's releasing the hands way late still. I also talked to him about keeping his hands high and getting some separation, he seems to be trying that as well in the preswing. Hands start right at his cheek, then he takes them backwards while his front foot extends. Another BP coming tonight after a long vacation weekend having fun.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
The gather could get better which in turn will help the coil/separation which should help the sequencing.

What sticks out? I see no coil/torque. @erniekru keeping the head still/steady at gather makes a world of difference. You can get around the spine w some resistance and load the middle along w the hands and hips. I tell players to gather against the head akin to a golf backswing. Hopefully that makes sense.
How does the gather look on the next clip look? I see him trying to change which is a good thing. This is my second time through, I realize a big error that I've made in the past is to try and change too much when they are young.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach