extension drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2009
looking for any help on extension drills. we have used reversed top hand drill and bottom hand drill with hitting stick, with jugs balls off a tee. looking to stay long thru the zone. any help would be great.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
See throw the bat posts in hitting pratical.I like reverse hand drill.Hitting balls off tee with reverse hands.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
See throw the bat posts in hitting pratical.I like reverse hand drill.Hitting balls off tee with reverse hands.

Diddo. I have found open palm and split grip throw bat drills work well too. If you throw the barrel, extension will be a natural product.
Oh and set up two tees. One will ball at ideal contact, another about 1 1/2 feet in front, about a ball higher. Hit both balls.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
looking for any help on extension drills. we have used reversed top hand drill and bottom hand drill with hitting stick, with jugs balls off a tee. looking to stay long thru the zone. any help would be great.

We did this:

33z4uow.gif

and got this result:

Extension.jpg

I teach the kids to load correctly and teach them to unload from a balanced position. IOW, I just follow the throwing model. Works every time, and it's easy for the kids to understand.

Jan 13, 2012

I see no reason to work on extension. It's a byproduct of location. If the pitch is inside, many hitters won't fully extend.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
One thing different teaching girls verses boys is some girls were taught to slap their front shoulder.
You will see them fold their arms right after contact.
I am not sure what mechanics someone was trying to achieve in teaching this. It was probably a byproduct of teaching something else.

Anyway use the reverse hand swing, or other drills so the hitter can feel the arms straighten out after impact. No more front arm/shoulder slapping

SL

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Good post SL, if you work with young girls, you will find many were taught to roll the wrists. Breaking them of this habit is what SL posted. We use the term back slappers, it's all most abuse watching some swing a bat. One other tool is the Whip Hit that Boulderdad posted on this site. Make sure these kids are wearing a helmet or they will hurt themself.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I'd be careful about intentionally restricting pronation of the top hand/forearm from contact to extension (of the top arm).

The post is about 'extension drills' ... which really should be about hitting with a proper swing sequence in which extension is observed as a 'result'. Restricting wrist rollover is a questionable goal to realizing proper 'resulting' extension of the top arm.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I had my daughter throwing a plastic bat yesterday. ... Also was doing some of what Wellphyt recommends.

When throwing a bat, am I correct to say that if the bat tends to go toward the left side (toward SS), that we're probably casting a little? Also notice that the bat might hit around SS and roll further left, which suggests rolling the wrists too early. Does that sound like a fair diagnosis?

On the better swings, the bat tends to go end over end (or side over side like helicopter) directly toward the pitcher and continue to roll or slide straight, not off to the left.

When throwing a bat, my DD has a little trouble w/ the front arm (gets straight too early), and she also sometimes will let the hips glide forward and drag the back foot forward. She's gotten better at that over time, but she's never quite fixed that. Front leg is not fully firm on contact.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00