elbow flying out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2010
I have noticed that my DD elbow flys out from her side sometimes. I think she does this when she is trying to throw harded then usual.I tell her to keep her elbow tight to her body, is there any thing else i could tell her to help her with a mental picture. Any drills that will enforce the elbow staying close?

Jan 13, 2010
I don't know for sure, hopefully one of these days I can get some video of her pitching. I would take it that its not so bad if it flys out after release? When i notices it it seems like her hand is on the outside of the ball. I have a hard time seeing everything while i catch her now. I was thinking maybe her hips are closing to fast and as she was moving her arm/hand around her hip she was flying her elbow out to make room. I guess i really need to get some videos for you all to see.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I don't know for sure, hopefully one of these days I can get some video of her pitching.

One thing I try to do with my DD is not suggest a change until I am as certain as I can be that I have correctly identified a problem and that i have a reasonable understanding of the solution. In the past with DD 1 I made so many on the fly suggestions and corrections and later found they were unfounded. Video has been very helpful.

Perhaps you could work on drills suggested on the Internal Rotation link on this site and then see if the chicken wing disappears or you may view it differently after you and your daughter have a good understanding of what the ball release should look and feel like.

May 7, 2008
DFW
One of the best training tools you can purchase that will help your daughter beat the chicken wing is The Perfect Circle. Google it. It is excellent for the development of release point and keeping the arm close to the body. The other thing you can do is have her put her shoulder up against a flat surface and work her windmills while keeping the fingers in touch with the wall. Do this slowly at first then have her speed up. Both will help her overcome the chicken wing.

I hope this helps.

Dana.

Jun 24, 2009
I am by no means an expert. I have been a student of the windmill for three years.My DD will be 12 in a few days.Was with a pitching coach the first 2 1/2 years. My DD had the same problem when she would really bring it. The pitching coach would just tell her to keep her elbow close to her hip,but never fixed the problem. After reading Boardmembers Internal Rotation post I realized my DD already used IR naturally . I videoed her and realized when she did the chicken wing she was snapping too soon . We watched the video, when she realized what she was doing that was the end of the old chicken wing. Probably increased speed 2mph by simply snapping later. Take my advise for what its worth as I am just a grasshopper the sensei's may not agree . Thank you all for the knowledge you share with us, you will never know how much you are appreciated or how many you have helped and you know who you are!

Apr 13, 2009
Central Illinois
I am by no means an expert. I have been a student of the windmill for three years.My DD will be 12 in a few days.Was with a pitching coach the first 2 1/2 years. My DD had the same problem when she would really bring it. The pitching coach would just tell her to keep her elbow close to her hip,but never fixed the problem. After reading Boardmembers Internal Rotation post I realized my DD already used IR naturally . I videoed her and realized when she did the chicken wing she was snapping too soon . We watched the video, when she realized what she was doing that was the end of the old chicken wing. Probably increased speed 2mph by simply snapping later. Take my advise for what its worth as I am just a grasshopper the sensei's may not agree . Thank you all for the knowledge you share with us, you will never know how much you are appreciated or how many you have helped and you know who you are!

My 8 yr old tends to do this a lot too. Trying to throw harder she tends to get in a hurry and wants to snap too soon or snap at the elbow even.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC