Dugout behavior

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
I don't discourage chanting as long as it's not derogatory to the other team. As long as it's not being disruptive, it's ok. When it becomes taunting, it's not.

Jun 18, 2010
What in the world are you talking about? Are you relating your comments back to the OP? Chanting, singing, and dancing in the dugout is a staple of softball. Maybe some of you are just starting out? I say that because when I started 6 years ago coaching I did not understand and therefore discouraged chanting etc. After all being a male we never chanted when we played football or baseball. :) But I can tell you that was just one of my many, many mistakes along the way. I have come to the point where not only do I encourage that stuff, I will recommend at least one girl a year assuming skills etc are sufficient to be that "energy leader" for the dugout. I have gone as far as telling that player "I need you this game" and it does NOT mean I need her to hit or field big but get the team going. And she knows exactly what I am talking about.

As far as the OP I am a HUGE Mizzou fan and found nothing Baylor did unsportsmanlike. I have not done a cross-reference but it might be interesting to see the correlation between posts confused about how to get the most out of players and the "stick in the mud, we didn't chant in baseball when I played" posts. As usual just my two cents.

For the record, I am not against chanting, singing, dancing, or most of all having FUN. I was my OPINION, that Baylor took it to a whole new level, a level I would not be comfortable with if I were the coach. So for those who think I am an arse, or a stick in the mud, I am simply stating my OPINION, that I would not want my players running back in forth in front of the dugout (during the game), nor flashing the lights on/off in the dugout having a dance party (during the game). I have watched nearly all of the WCWS games and only have an issue with what I saw in the Mizzou / Baylor game. So sing and chant away.... breakout the karaoke if that is your style, by all means I don't want to stifle anyone's fun.

Mar 13, 2010
I am simply stating my OPINION, that I would not want my players running back in forth in front of the dugout (during the game),

I'm watching video on the NCAA website now and on my first video watched a ASU (I think that's Arizone State?) player do the same thing. That's so common.

Jan 31, 2011
If I remember right, the Baylor players were doing their thing when there was a time out or a break in the action. They weren't doing the hand slapping sprints while someone was in hte box. I personally thought it was a cool way to get pumped up. Obviously, they were having fun! I saw nothing demeaning about it.

Jan 31, 2011
What in the world are you talking about? Are you relating your comments back to the OP? Chanting, singing, and dancing in the dugout is a staple of softball. Maybe some of you are just starting out? I say that because when I started 6 years ago coaching I did not understand and therefore discouraged chanting etc. After all being a male we never chanted when we played football or baseball. :) But I can tell you that was just one of my many, many mistakes along the way. I have come to the point where not only do I encourage that stuff, I will recommend at least one girl a year assuming skills etc are sufficient to be that "energy leader" for the dugout. I have gone as far as telling that player "I need you this game" and it does NOT mean I need her to hit or field big but get the team going. And she knows exactly what I am talking about.

As far as the OP I am a HUGE Mizzou fan and found nothing Baylor did unsportsmanlike. I have not done a cross-reference but it might be interesting to see the correlation between posts confused about how to get the most out of players and the "stick in the mud, we didn't chant in baseball when I played" posts. As usual just my two cents.

I agree completely! Nice post.

Sep 3, 2009
For those that watched the Mizzou / Baylor marathon Saturday evening, did any notice the behavior of the players in the Baylor dugout? My 12U team demonstrates better restraint in their actions. IMHO it was unsportsmanlike behavior.

I don't know it if it was so much unsportsmanlike, as it was ignorant. Flashes on cameras aren't allowed, but a light blinking in the dugout? If they want to act ignorant and dance when their bats have been stifled for 13 innings, sure...

I've seen Baylor play several times in the last few years. Trust me, it's not anything unusual for them.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
It's not unsportsmanlike. What it is, is a bunch of players who are doing nonsense stuff and not paying attention to the game. This same lack of attentiveness is seen on the field a lot in girls games when they can't run the bases and don't do other fundamental things because everything is about fun.

Nov 29, 2009
Baylor took it to a whole new level, a level I would not be comfortable with if I were the coach.

Apparently in the OPINION of the coaches that mattered. They did not have a problem with it.

The girls may have used this all year to keep and get themselves going. You're forming your OPINION off of a few seconds of video. So long as the players don't direct anything negative at the other team, fans, umpires or anyone else cheer, dance, flash lights and run the line in front of the dugout if that's what it takes to motivate your team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan