Dugout behavior

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I saw the same thing, but it wasn't 'taunting' the other team, it was more to get their own team 'fired up'. Don't think it was unsportsman-like, but I would probably ask them to stop if I were the coach.

Jun 20, 2008
Look, knightsb, I don't mean to sound harsh but if not for yourself, for the sake of your 12U team, go to the hospital and see if they can get a team of doctors to remove the stick from your arse!

Jun 18, 2010
Look, knightsb, I don't mean to sound harsh but if not for yourself, for the sake of your 12U team, go to the hospital and see if they can get a team of doctors to remove the stick from your arse!

Thanks 2bucketdad that really added value.

May 18, 2009
Go watch some U-10 TB and how losing coaches and parents handle their teams. Is it any wonder some of these girls feed into the mentality? Sportsmanship seems to be going out the window. Our coaches would've put a stop to this behavior. I think it demeans the game.

Mar 13, 2010
Sportsmanship seems to be going out the window. Our coaches would've put a stop to this behavior. I think it demeans the game.

Your coaches are coaches of either 14 or 15 year old girls or little girls. They honestly have no clue how to coach women. It is a completely different skill set.

Jun 18, 2010
Your coaches are coaches of either 14 or 15 year old girls or little girls. They honestly have no clue how to coach women. It is a completely different skill set.

Honestly YOU have no clue whether men or women posting on this fourm are capable, qualified, or have the skills to coach these little girls. Reading between the lines, I am assuming you are implying men have no clue how to coach women... You can't make an unqualified blanket statement like that and have any credibility. The reason there are so many men coaching is because not enough women step up and volunteer to take on the job. I have coached in our local little league program for both my son and daughter for 7 years (baseball, basketball, soccer, and softball). I cannot tell you how many times parents sign their children up and are placed on teams by the league organizers, only to have the organizers plead for one of the parents on the team to step up and coach. Coaching is a time consuming labor of love for these little kids.

So I ask you, where are all the women volunteer coaches?

May 18, 2009
By 15 yrs I expect the girls to act like young women. I watch at every TB tournament I go to and I'm thankful our coaches and parents act the way they do. Watched a bad call change the outcome of a game on Sunday and the coaches from the other team were using profanity towards the umpire in front of the 10 year olds. It was time for a good teachable moment and look what they taught.

Mar 13, 2010
So I ask you where are all the women volunteer coaches?

I really don't know. I'm Australian. We have a lot of volunteer women coaches over here.

Honestly YOU have no clue whether men or women posting on this fourm are capable, qualified, or have the skills to coach these little girls.

Could you please point out 1. Where I said anyone on this forum wasn't able to coach? I never said that. I was refering to the coaches of NVFishing's daughters, who he has stated before are in U16 and his youngest who he has posted video on. Since Americans don't play softball past age 18 (except for the elite level) I am quietly confident that the vast majority of coaches in America do not coach women past the age of 17/18. If they're coaching kids or even teenagers, the chances of them having coached women is slim.

Reading between the lines, I am assuming you are implying men have no clue how to coach women...

You know what they say about assumptions! My post had nothing to do with gender. It was age. (hence using the terms girls and women)

There is nothing wrong with not being able to coach women. I can't. My strength is coaching t-ball and teenagers from about 13-16. I focus on that because I can get the best results for the girls by coaching that age group. I would never attempt to coach women because I would suck at it. There's nothing wrong with that.

But I do have an issue with people coming on this forum and insulting young women who have worked their tails off their entire lives to be the best softballers they can be because they had *gasp* FUN in the dugout. I've played at an elite level (not to the level of the college players) I KNOW how hard it is. I know the sacrifice. I also know how sometimes, when playing a very close game you need to blow off steam. They weren't insulting the other team. They were dancing. If that's 'demeaning the sport' that's stupid.

Oh and I have had the coaches who wanted us to be super serious all the time in the dugout. It sucked. It wasn't fun and ultimatly that is why girls and women play. To have fun.

Ack NV you posted while I was!

By 15 yrs I expect the girls to act like young women.

Can you please tell me how

1. They had their batting helmets on backwards (as a rally cap), and a team member kept running outside the dugout back and forth slapping hands the extended hands of the others. What bothered me in was this action was taking place outside the dugout.
2. At another point someone was flashing the dugout lights on/off to simulate a strobe light while the other players were having a dance party hooting and hollering, and this was happening prior to the completion of the game.

are not behaving like young women?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2009
Go watch some U-10 TB and how losing coaches and parents handle their teams. Is it any wonder some of these girls feed into the mentality? Sportsmanship seems to be going out the window. Our coaches would've put a stop to this behavior. I think it demeans the game.

What in the world are you talking about? Are you relating your comments back to the OP? Chanting, singing, and dancing in the dugout is a staple of softball. Maybe some of you are just starting out? I say that because when I started 6 years ago coaching I did not understand and therefore discouraged chanting etc. After all being a male we never chanted when we played football or baseball. :) But I can tell you that was just one of my many, many mistakes along the way. I have come to the point where not only do I encourage that stuff, I will recommend at least one girl a year assuming skills etc are sufficient to be that "energy leader" for the dugout. I have gone as far as telling that player "I need you this game" and it does NOT mean I need her to hit or field big but get the team going. And she knows exactly what I am talking about.

As far as the OP I am a HUGE Mizzou fan and found nothing Baylor did unsportsmanlike. I have not done a cross-reference but it might be interesting to see the correlation between posts confused about how to get the most out of players and the "stick in the mud, we didn't chant in baseball when I played" posts. As usual just my two cents.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG