Dropped third strike scenario.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 8, 2010
Posted this in the general forum but here it is again....

Happened in the State Tournament yesterday.

Nobody on, 1 out. Batter swings thru strike 3 but the catcher doesn't field it cleanly. Hitter starts walking back to the dugout. She walks about 5 feet outside the basepath and her coaches tell her to go touch first. She does, carrying the bat all the way with her. She then proceeds to go in the dugout and sit down.

Her coach then goes to the head Ump and says she wasn't tagged or thrown out. Ump tells her to go get back on first base and she is safe.

What say you?

Jun 22, 2008
She was fine up to the point of leaving the field of play and stepping in the dugout. Now she is out.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I thought in ASA if you touched firstbase with the bat in your hand you were out anyways.

Nope, never a rule. You can carry the bat all the way around the bases, if you please, as long as you do not use the bat to interfere with the play.

May 16, 2010
Posted this in the general forum but here it is again....

Happened in the State Tournament yesterday.

Nobody on, 1 out. Batter swings thru strike 3 but the catcher doesn't field it cleanly. Hitter starts walking back to the dugout. She walks about 5 feet outside the basepath and her coaches tell her to go touch first. She does, carrying the bat all the way with her. She then proceeds to go in the dugout and sit down.

Her coach then goes to the head Ump and says she wasn't tagged or thrown out. Ump tells her to go get back on first base and she is safe.

What say you?

Someone gave you the answer in the other thread.

rule 8.7.U. if you are using ASA rules

In all baseball and softball rules, a runner is out if they walk into the dugout while the ball is live.

Tex

Sep 13, 2011
Out when she went into the dougout. If the ball was in the pitcher's hand inside the circle, the runner is out when she left 1st base. This ump has no business umpiring a state tournament. Needs to stay at the rec. league level.

Dec 21, 2011
Someone gave you the answer in the other thread.

In all baseball and softball rules, a runner is out if they walk into the dugout while the ball is live.

Quick clarifying question on the rule you quoted in a little bit different scenario. We have had a couple of situations where a girl was called out on the base then went into the dugout. I think in each case it was a bang-bang play at a base. The coach came out to argue the call and on appeal another ump overturned the call putting the girl back on the base. I assume the rule doesn't apply because play is stopped during the argument? I have heard a few people yell "player should be out since she went in dugout" but I have never seen an ump do anything about it in the situation I just described.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00