Drills for using legs?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2019
Can you guys point me to some good drills I can use to get my daughter used to using her lower half in both hitting and while throwing. Something for younger players

Feb 3, 2016
Can you guys point me to some good drills I can use to get my daughter used to using her lower half in both hitting and while throwing. Something for younger players
Not sure what age so I'll stick to what we started when our DD was 8.5 / 9.

Heavy ball (medicine ball) throws for batting.
In the hitting section on DFP has a short video that shows the exact technique. Tons of ladder drills, Frog jumps, Box jumps. Kids need to master body movements to incorporate upper and lower body via core.

Long toss with both crow hop and change that up with step back throws. Helps kids use lower half.
The only way these throws work is using lower half.

We've used a Weckmethod, RTM Club and a heavy bag for extreme check swings and still do. Concentrate on holding the club on the bag once contact is made with the swing. That's a rotation move from your lower half NOT a hand/arm forward push!

Working on your core will make the transfer of your lower half effective. If you can plank for 3 minutes plus etc. You know the core is ready to transfer energy. (Not every 9 year old is going to plank for 3 minutes but you can still work on improving core stability)

For whatever reason kids fall into two categories. Those that like upper body workouts and those who like lower half.
Yet to find a athlete that loves to work their core.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

May 23, 2019
Long toss with both crow hop and change that up with step back throws. Helps kids use lower half.
The only way these throws work is using lower half.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That might be it... Maybe 4-5 weeks ago me and my daughter were working on Pop ups and after each one I told her to just " take a big hop and throw it in to me as hard as you can" in the days following her throwing velo was much higher I thought something just clicked for her but she lost it and I didn't put two and two together... Thanks for all the tips and exercises much appreciated

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Both of these are good for hitti

This is the only one I could really find for throwing that wasn’t about pitching a baseball:

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Coil your hips and shoulders inward as you go forward. (Make sure you are not coiling only over the back foot like the 'softball throwing drills' video just above this post (see pic below). Also, do not bend your body at an angle to do this (like the pic below). Just rotate your body.

Do the same when you hit.
erase2.JPG
When you throw, make sure you pick up the front elbow. Don't let the arm stay down. (Don't throw the front forearm out like the girls in the video above (see pic below). Just bend the arm and make sure the elbow is up) Make the front and back elbows work in unison.
erase1-001.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32