Donny Buster's Total Presentation.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This is a source of information that I have read and re-read. It's probably time for me to read it again. Thanks for the reminder, FFS.

Aug 20, 2013
I've definitely been guilty of coaching my DD to put a slight downswing on the ball to create backspin. This is actually a tip that I got from Fred McGriff years ago while playing HS ball. I understand the point of keeping the bat in the zone as long as possible, but isn't there something to physics if you are able to create some backspin on the ball?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I've definitely been guilty of coaching my DD to put a slight downswing on the ball to create backspin. This is actually a tip that I got from Fred McGriff years ago while playing HS ball. I understand the point of keeping the bat in the zone as long as possible, but isn't there something to physics if you are able to create some backspin on the ball?

If you watch video of the best hitters, the barrel isn't moving downward into the ball.

Sep 17, 2009
Purposeful backspin created on other balls -- say a golf ball or tennis ball -- doesn't create greater distance but rather a softer shot that doesn't travel as far....

Oct 25, 2009

Putting backspin on a hit ball can make the ball do some great things. Swinging down behind the ball can create that backspin. But to be able to do it facing live pitching would be very difficult because it requires almost pinpoint accuracy at contact. A little high on the ball and it's a chopped grounder; too low on the ball and it's a pop up.

Now if you want to have some fun with the fielders do it during defense practice. One of my favorite things to do is put backspin on ground balls. It makes the ball skim the ground instead of bouncing. Frustrates infielders who don't keep their gloves in the dirt; goes under the glove, right between their legs.

Also good for line drives that just keep rising over a charging outfielder.

It would be awesome to hit like that in the game but it does require that pinpoint timing and accuracy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softball_1