Do your players really hit >.600?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I consume most of the scoring threads in this forum. I try to pay attention to what the scoring is like on the multitude of college games I watch on ESPN+ and although I am the "official" scorekeeper - I always have a partner for both HS and travel and we consult and talk through plays. If I don't have someone there like that then my husband is also a good person to ask, but I do always try to ask someone knowledgeable about the game what their thoughts were on a play. If I am given that scoring responsibility I try and do my very best - I don't think the coaches really care because they have their own thoughts about plays but it is important to me anyway :)
Having a partner or at least another knowledgeable parent close by to confirm what you say or did not see if very helpful. There were times that I got behind doing GC that I had to recreate an entire inning based on memory and other parents memory. I was doing double duty as the college recruiter and GC in a few tourneys when our regular GC mom was not available. Luckily we had a pitcher dad doing iScore for his own benefit, either to keep him engaged or it made him feel neutral. He was a CPA and pretty subdued for the most part.

May 27, 2022
Having a partner or at least another knowledgeable parent close by to confirm what you say or did not see if very helpful. There were times that I got behind doing GC that I had to recreate an entire inning based on memory and other parents memory. I was doing double duty as the college recruiter and GC in a few tourneys when our regular GC mom was not available. Luckily we had a pitcher dad doing iScore for his own benefit, either to keep him engaged or it made him feel neutral. He was a CPA and pretty subdued for the most part.
I always liked to stand by the pitcher's dad. The reasonable ones were good to get a second opinion on ihts/errors. AND, I knew that if I got too liberal with hits, I might hear about it later from their daughter's stats. My daughters were the catchers and it worked out well to talk together throughout the game.

Jun 23, 2021
One of my daughter’s HS teammates hit .687 her senior year. She was an absolute freak of nature lefty who could drive the 240 feet either direction. Our All-State game is 3 weeks after the state tournament ends. She didn’t pick up up a bat from the end of the season until the All-State game and went 4-4 with a home run and 2 doubles against 3 different college committed pitchers. She had the state leader in home runs batting behind her so she was protected in the line up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
One of my daughter’s HS teammates hit .687 her senior year. She was an absolute freak of nature lefty who could drive the 240 feet either direction. Our All-State game is 3 weeks after the state tournament ends. She didn’t pick up up a bat from the end of the season until the All-State game and went 4-4 with a home run and 2 doubles against 3 different college committed pitchers. She had the state leader in home runs batting behind her so she was protected in the line up.

You talkin' HS bruh!

Jun 15, 2021
I wouldn't trust anything in HS. Generally scorekeepers are not trained or inflate.... pitching sometimes is like front toss. I've seen TB girls dominate in HS and some that struggle with the slower pitching. I wouldn't even trust people who say they batted X at a top tournament because even at IDT, Scenic City, Top Gun, PGF, etc... there are a lot of teams that don't win any games or are outscored by a large margins. It's not always "elite" competition and sometimes we throw our #3 pitcher at you to save our best for tougher games/bracket. Never name drop. It's all relative. Finally, if I was to look at any stat, I would look at OPS as that shows a better picture of their offensive abilities.

Oct 4, 2018
How did they know what they were hitting? Do parents/coaches really share with their kids/players their statistics during the season? To me that is weird..what is the point? 🤷‍♂️

Girls want to know. And it's public information. They find out pretty easily.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
If an outstanding hitter is playing in a very weak league then absolutely. I still shoot photos for my DD’s HS alma matter. Their star play feasted on the pitching in their league. The pitching they faced all season long was BP level. There was never any doubt about the scorebook because she raked everything.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
In competition there should be both hits and strikeouts.
That said,
Perhaps looking at 1 players batting average in comparison with the entire team's batting average is a way to see if the player is a standout player or not.
And also a way to gauge if the entire team is playing in the appropriate competitive level.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00