Do your players really hit >.600?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Without a doubt DD's HS stats were way better than TB stats. During TB she played against solid teams with solid pitching every game. As opposed to the sporadic nature of HS ball where one team is 0-21 vs a team that is 21-0 with a roster full of committed players.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
So, back to my original point - it's hard to believe that there are very many DD (as some here have claimed) that are batting over .600 with their travel teams...
TB not so much at the 16U/18U levels. 14U and below it's possible with 36 AB's. Especially if the team is playing below their level. Heck you could have an A type of player stuck on a C level team that is tearing it up, but would be average on an A team. Too many variables to consider.

Oct 29, 2019
I would say yes in High School.

I was the HS scorekeeper.

So many "Hits" that would never be hits in travel ball.

Kids going 4 for 4 at the plate because they are fast and infielders don't charge the ball, or outfielders that run forward 2 steps before getting burnt on what would be a routine play in travel ball.

I had a hard time handing out some of those "hits".

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So, back to my original point - it's hard to believe that there are very many DD (as some here have claimed) that are batting over .600 with their travel teams...
The answer is the answer.
It all has to do with the competition level,
*apply that fact to the scenario...
Maybe you're just venting but if you apply competition level to this can understand why something looks over inflated.

Heres an example
Can remember a parent who was elated about her daughter's team winning pgf. I asked who her daughter played for. The name of the team was not the team that won pgf premier nationals. What she was speaking about was her daughter's team winning platinum pgf Nationals (which is the lower division to premier). The astounding part was that the mom did not know there was an entire bracket level that played above what her daughter's team was competing in.
Can win nationals at different levels.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
I think some players hit around 600 in a season. I'm not saying all are legit but it does happen especially in small sample sizes. You see guys in the major leagues hit close to 500 for a couple of weeks. They don't end there but if they get hot it happens.

Feb 24, 2022
I know it's lower ages, but we are a second year 12U A team and we have a girl who legit was hitting over .600 until about 2 weeks ago (I think she is around .580 now). 125 at bats. She is the best hitter I've ever seen. She always hits the ball hard and is fast, so she can beat out ground balls if the infield is back or slow in getting rid of the ball. It's one of those things where you are shocked when she doesn't get a hit. She also finished the Fall season over .600 with about 65 or so at bats.

Oct 4, 2018
Both my DD's are on travel teams where the averages are between about .250 and .450. Games are scored very accurately and they play against competition their level.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD hit .613 in her final HS season. She had as many HRs as singles, and more HRs than Ks. That said, most of their opponents were pretty weak compared to what she sees in 18U TB. She was the top hitter on her team by over 150 points, and was second in the league behind a girl who hit over .700 (she is a spectacular player, and will be playing at Oregon State this coming season). My DD pretty consistently bats over .400 with her TB teams (currently .429).

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Both my DD's are on travel teams where the averages are between about .250 and .450. Games are scored very accurately and they play against competition their level.
Same here more or less although the lower number might be a bit lower than .250. I think the team BA was around .280’ish. The best hitter on the team hit well over .500 last year but we made a jump in competition level this season and she was probably in the .450-.475 range this season.

Oct 4, 2018
Same here more or less although the lower number might be a bit lower than .250. I think the team BA was around .280’ish. The best hitter on the team hit well over .500 last year but we made a jump in competition level this season and she was probably in the .450-.475 range this season.

It has been interesting trying to get my daughters to recognize that getting hits 3 out of 10 (or getting on base 4 out of 10) is considered good. Years of rec and lower level travel shaped their expectations... I certainly like them shooting for getting on base a lot more, just don't want them getting too down on themselves. As most adults all know, you get hits 4 out of 10 and you're a Hall of Famer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish