Do your players really hit >.600?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I’m an engineer by education which is likely the source of how I think about data. I do a lot of data analysis for my job so data/statistics are in my train of thought a lot. I’ve analysed state data over a couple years (ie correlating wins to BA and/or WHIP) and even created my own RPI calculator to rank all teams before it existed here.

I do stats as right as possible. I read the NCCA score keeping guide a couple times a year to make sure I’m accurate with what I do. We use iScore and it’s easy to get stats after games To put into Varsity Bound.

I need to remember I’m chasing a pipe dream thinking that others take it as serious as I do. that is why I came here to see what others see outside my area.

Add to that that Ive seen a few posts here about DD hitting what appears to be too good…
Ok. Good stuff.

What do you think the accuracy percentage is of most score books?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I had one player, the first year of our varsity team, hit .636. But that year we did not face too many good teams. I'm talking most pitchers throwing in the 30s, maybe low 40s.

I'm not sure anybody will break that record now that our program is better and I schedule games against better teams. We've had a few hitters who are better than she was, but the second highest average is program history is .480.
Our HS program has no history books.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Ok. Good stuff.

Many of the guys on here are former baseball players/or fans of baseball, and when we were younger we would actually open up the sports section of the paper and scan the stats. Baseball is very stat driven which is now ingrained into our DNA. I swear we weren't born this way!!!

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I would find the top 3 lines suspect. 0 SAC/SF and only 8 ROE in over 200 AB combined? Even the fourth line, 0 ROE in 118 AB? If the earlier theory that all of the talent is foregoing HS ball for travel is correct, then they must have pretty fabulous fielding top to bottom in the state, those 'lower tier' girls are fielding at astronomical rates.....

May 27, 2022
Ok. Good stuff.

thats a multifaceted question
- what do they miss most? FC, SB and sometimes errors
- who is least accurate? Kids then Pitchers parents then random parents
- if they’re using paper? Really bad. Hard to see the details unless you’re really anal about putting it in. if they're using GC/iScore - should be pretty good.

If a team is using GC/iScore and has a basic knowledge of errors, stolen bases, and fielders choice, and you have a person of integrity doing it, it should be pretty good. Electronic scoring does all the stats from there. There is obviously opinions on hit/error, but I would think that with education and GC/iScore, BA should be within 25 pnts between any given scorekeeper. Given the state of what I see in Iowa Varsity Bound - maybe within 50 to 100 points.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Apps like GC and iScore have made scorekeeping so much easier and accessible than the paper score book. You can have a very rudimentary knowledge of the sport and the apps do a great job of prompting inputs. The data is pretty incredible too. Now to the down side. Parents can have access to stats which creates threads like this. Maxpreps sites are able to sync up with GC too if the parents know how. Not all schools do it, which can create an incomplete picture.

I really don't know what stats were until I hit 8th grade when the coach started sharing the information. I either knew that I was sucking or felt like I was doing well. I started writing down my stats in HS. I actually had all of DD's HS stats on an excel spreadsheet, but I can't find it anymore. I thought it might be a neat keepsake for her glory file. or it may bring up crappy HS memories.

May 27, 2022
Apps like GC and iScore have made scorekeeping so much easier and accessible than the paper score book. You can have a very rudimentary knowledge of the sport and the apps do a great job of prompting inputs. The data is pretty incredible too. Now to the down side. Parents can have access to stats which creates threads like this. Maxpreps sites are able to sync up with GC too if the parents know how. Not all schools do it, which can create an incomplete picture.

I really don't know what stats were until I hit 8th grade when the coach started sharing the information. I either knew that I was sucking or felt like I was doing well. I started writing down my stats in HS. I actually had all of DD's HS stats on an excel spreadsheet, but I can't find it anymore. I thought it might be a neat keepsake for her glory file. or it may bring up crappy HS memories.To be fair, IGHSAU and IHSAA requires stats to be put in Varsity Bound weekly for public consumption. Girls know that exists and are going to see the stats with our without GC/iScore.

to be fair, IGHSAU and IHSAA require stats be uploaded to Varsity Bound weekly for public consumption. Girls are going to see their stats with or without GC/iScore.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Our HS program has no history books.

My DW and I started the program, so the entire history has happened with us as coaches. Our "history books" are an Excel spreadsheet and what's on MaxPreps. I don't track fielding stats in my sheet, but I do include them on MaxPreps.

One of the most surprising things to me when I got into high school athletics was just how many schools don't track much of anything for their teams, compared to others who have record keeping on par with many colleges.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My DW and I started the program, so the entire history has happened with us as coaches. Our "history books" are an Excel spreadsheet and what's on MaxPreps. I don't track fielding stats in my sheet, but I do include them on MaxPreps.

One of the most surprising things to me when I got into high school athletics was just how many schools don't track much of anything for their teams, compared to others who have record keeping on par with many colleges.
I'm glad you took the initiative to keep up with that. I hope the parents appreciate too.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
First Practice: May 2
First Games: May 23
Regional First Round: July 1-7
No more than 3 games per day

So, 6 weeks of games. Most teams play 4-5 days during the week and at least 3 Fri/Sat 'Tournaments' (usually 2-3 round robin games). Our size of school is JV/V double header 4 or 5 nights a week (plus maybe a Saturday). Some larger schools are V double header. So you can get 4-8 games per week.

Looking at standings, most teams are getting 30-35 games. Some as few as 25 and some as many as 40 games.

There is a run rule: 12 after 3 and 10 after 5.We get some run rule games (especially if you end up playing a much smaller school). The best team in our class was 32-8 and won 16 of their games by run rule. Our team is middle sized and won 7 of our 29 games by 10 or more.

Most schools have their own field just for Softball (some have 2 fields) with full fences at around 200'. Some fences are 5' some are 10'. All have plastic tile over the top for safety. We're lucky to have 2 fields. The nicer one is locked and only for HS games (it does hold water longer with concrete around it). The other is open and used for JH games, when the good field is too wet, tournament weekends, or just to walk up and practice with your kids on (it is not gated).

What's your school's situation?

Some of the fields we play on
View attachment 26001View attachment 26002View attachment 26003View attachment 26004View attachment 26005
Tryouts / practices start Mid-Feb ... 2 scrimmages allowed ... 20 regular season games start early-mid March ... 2 usually 3 games a week ... Usually no double headers scheduled but some do a 3-4 team round robin or tournament style Saturday ... About 12 district games and 8 out of district. Regular season is done by Memorial Day ... Things have been evolving as far as post season play but if you go all the way to the State Championship you wouldn't get 30 games in.

Most schools only have one softball field and all that I know of are fenced at + or - 200' . Recently they've started doing the run up to States and States at fields not associated with either competing school.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd