Do I tell my daughter...?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2010
that she didn't make a team? Other teams are still having tryouts, and we plan to go to at least 3 teams for a second time.

I received an e-mail last night that she didn't make a TB team (honestly, the team was a tough commute, and a little beyond her skill level, so we are not completely disappointed.

My wife and I have decided not to tell her until we hear back from all of the teams she is trying out for. We don't want to destroy her confidence when she is going to the other tryouts. It seems that all of the teams have arranged their tryouts so that we would hear from all of them within 2-3 days of each other.

Feb 9, 2009
I would. My DD would learn from it, get ticked off about it, and then go out there to the next try out and blow them away just to show that last coach what he was missing!! But that's MY DD...
You know yours best. Only you know how to handle adverse situations with your kid, so go with your gut instincts and don't worry what the rest of us say...

Aug 13, 2010
Thanks. She is not the type to take the rejection and go with the killer instinct. It would probably bring her down and effect her negatively at the next tryout. This will be only our second year of travel ball, so we are still learning.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
If you were aware that her performance was not up to the level of the other kids you can bet she did too. What are you going to do if she doesn't make any team? Use it as a learning experience. "This is what we need to work on..."

Out of curiosity how do you plan on sheltering her from every disappointment life throws at us.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You better tell her, before someone else does, or she reads it on Facebook, etc. The girls could be talking, "Oh, I made such and such team."

Maybe they just weren't looking to fill the position that she plays.

Aug 13, 2010
If you were aware that her performance was not up to the level of the other kids you can bet she did too. What are you going to do if she doesn't make any team? Use it as a learning experience. "This is what we need to work on..."

Out of curiosity how do you plan on sheltering her from every disappointment life throws at us.

I don't think of it as sheltering her, but as keeping up her concentration until she is done trying out for other teams. Believe me, she is not being pampered.

Aug 13, 2010
You better tell her, before someone else does, or she reads it on Facebook, etc. The girls could be talking, "Oh, I made such and such team."

Maybe they just weren't looking to fill the position that she plays.

She is not on Facebook. She does not have a computer. Her friends are not into sports, so anybody trying out for the team only know each other from being at the tryouts.

There are definitely teams that need specific positions. We have had her try out for A level to B level teams, so it is quite possible that she is not ready for A just yet. This is only her second season, so she is still building knowledge and understanding of the game. Rec just wasn't competitive and some of the girls were just really bad. I am a competitive person, but I also understand what her skill level is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA