Demarini CF8/ bats in general questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 29, 2012
At 5'3" she should probably be swinging a 32" bat. try to go with -10 but if it is just to heavy then -11. My DD is 5'2" and 120 and uses a 32/22 and even had her pracice with a 33/23 and it didn;t seem to affect her swing.

The demarini's run lighter than other brands on average. so a 32/22 will be closer to 32/21.5

My daughter has tried xenos, makos, stealths, 2legits, and has dropped them all to go back to her demarini's.

She just likes the balanced feel of the CF's we have went through both versions of CF5, CF6, and is now using a CF7 hope and honestly there is not much difference in performance between them. You can spend a little less and get a CF7 and be fine.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My daughter looks pretty average in size compared to the other players. I've always thought she was swinging a bat too light for her but up until this year she hasn't been able to get her swing fast enough to catch up with the pitch. Probably more of her needing to swing early but also appeared to be too heavy for her...at least until this year. She still has no power but she is making contact with just about everything thrown to her. I feel that the 33/23 is too big for her as her swing looks sluggish (if that makes sense)...and the 31/18 bustos, while she may like it, is too light for her. I wish I would have found that bat two years ago.

Very often, being early or late isn't about the weight of the bat, but rather a swing mechanics issue. Also, needing to start the swing earlier may actually be an indicator that her swing movement is too long. If you are interesting in getting some input on your DD's swing mechanics, and some suggestions on what could be improved, I encourage you to start a thread in the Practical Hitting section, including video of her swing.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have a buddy with a 31" CF8 -11 that he wants to sell. Says it was only used in one tournament when his DD decided to give up softball. He is asking $200.
CF8 -11.jpgCF8.jpg

At her size, a 32" bat is the way to go. It can be a -10 or -11, based on her preference. Since the only decent -11s on the market are the CF8, LXT, Xeno and Mako, you know she'll pick out a good bat.

Please be aware that the "-11" Mako will weigh as much or more than the -10 CF8 and LXT and will certainly weigh more than the -11 Xeno and might even weigh as much as a -10 Xeno. Makos are heavy.

If she likes the CF8 (or any of the others mentioned above) just smile and be happy about it. They are all good bats.

Personally, I'd have her swing the -10 CF8 and LXT and the -11 Xeno and Mako. You might even let her swing -10 Xeno and Mako, as well. She'll find one she likes.

Feb 22, 2016
At her size, a 32" bat is the way to go. It can be a -10 or -11, based on her preference. Since the only decent -11s on the market are the CF8, LXT, Xeno and Mako, you know she'll pick out a good bat.

Please be aware that the "-11" Mako will weigh as much or more than the -10 CF8 and LXT and will certainly weigh more than the -11 Xeno and might even weigh as much as a -10 Xeno. Makos are heavy.

If she likes the CF8 (or any of the others mentioned above) just smile and be happy about it. They are all good bats.

Personally, I'd have her swing the -10 CF8 and LXT and the -11 Xeno and Mako. You might even let her swing -10 Xeno and Mako, as well. She'll find one she likes.

The Mako she swung was a 33/23. She was able to swing it ok and made contact almost as much as the bustos but the distance was no different. I actually thought the lightweight bustos went further. I've been pondering the bat listed on here by JAD....but I've been thinking the same as what you mentioned...a 32 length with 21 or 22oz might be better. I'm looking to get her into a batting cage this weekend to try out some of these bats so we can make a decision. I agree that any of the listed bats would be good. I'm just trying to find the best fit for her. JAD if your friends bat hasn't sold by then I'll try to get back to you by Monday. Sorry for the delay in responding...gotta work for a living. Who knows she might like the LXT lol....kids sure can be fickle

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
And, when all things are equal, color!

DD was swing a 30/19 CF6 Sprite last year and she said she wanted a larger Demarini to replace it. But the Demarni's were considerably more pricey than the Xenos

I bought her a 31/20 Xeno this year and asked he if she liked it.

Her answer - "Of course I do, it's purple."

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I hate to get in the way of JAD, but I'm sticking by my initial recommendation for a 32. If she was 13 or 14, and done getting taller, a 31 might be okay if she had a strong preference for a shorter bat (although I would still recommend a 32). At 11yo, if your DD is anything like mine, there is still a bunch of growing to do. 31 is going to fall into the way-too-short category in a hurry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1